Lake turnover a few questions

RUDD

RUDD,

I reviewed the posts in this thread. Frankly, I doubt your last statement in post #1. I seriously doubt DO is "ok"

Rarely are the problems you describe very complicated.

Nevertheless, I am directing you to a "laymans" booklet from the University of Wisconsin. They are perhaps some of the best. Instead of wringing your hands - - - have a look.

http://www3.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/weal/Documents/G3582.pdf

Phone

RUDD,

I reviewed the posts in this thread. Frankly, I doubt your last statement in post #1. I seriously doubt DO is "ok"

Rarely are the problems you describe very complicated.

Nevertheless, I am directing you to a "laymans" booklet from the University of Wisconsin. They are perhaps some of the best. Instead of wringing your hands - - - have a look.

http://www3.uwsp.edu/cnr-ap/weal/Documents/G3582.pdf

Phone

Will have a read later

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

RUDD,

Has the lake settled out?

Phone

It has settled down but there are dead fish popping up.

I was down there with the EA yesterday.

Water quality spot on. Helped electro fish some roach and should hear back at the end of the week.

RUDD

Most probably it will come back with nothing more than "secondary infection" nice way of saying we dont have a clue buddy

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Most probably it will come back with nothing more than "secondary infection" nice way of saying we dont have a clue buddy

Yes - I am expecting them with above.

On a funny note - I was walking round another water yesterday and bumped into an old member from the problem water (who I never trusted).

His first words were ' Are you still a baliff down at ******?'.

I answer 'No, Why?' (not telling him I am still a very active member to see what his story is)

'They are losing hundreds of fish, on Friday afternoon I saw forty dead carp, loads of tench and bream and hundreds of Roach.'

'Oh really, I was down there Friday lunchtime with the EA and netted out about fifty dead fish you must have seen **** who was there all afternoon clearing weeds, why did you go onto private land anyway as you are not a member and oh - can I see your ticket for this water as I do help baliff this one?'

'Its in my van'

'you can walk with me and get it then as I am going that way'

Quarter of a mile up a hill as we got to his van he found his ticket in his hoody - Tw@T.

A close eye will be keep't on that fellow if he shows his face again!

RUDD

RUDD,

A thought occured to me the other day and forgot to post.

As a general rule - - - If the larger fish are dying first there is no doubt an O2 problem at least contrubuted to the problem. If small fish are dying first it is most likely something else. As for species - well I'm not familiar with most fish in the UK and don't have a clue to sensitivity.

Phone

A few are starting to get noticed with the fungus again this year ,hopefully it wont suddenly get bad like last time ,the odd one or ten is probably quite natural after they have got wounded or rubbed themselves on a sharp stone trying to dislodge a parasite etc .

If you take off the fungus theres usually the case of flesh being mushy not firm ,not had a fish to examine yet its just angler talk at the moment where small things get blown up to big ones ,one fish becomes six a small hole becomes a cavern etc

I managed to hoik out a dead perch for the trap in passing it looked not to bad but had obviasly been on the bottom a long time it wss gut wrenchinly old and pongy ,i chucked it in the bushes crays would avoid it i expect

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

RUDD,

I don't want to talk disparagingly about your "testing". Here are a couple FACTS you should keep in mind.

1. - The presence of sludge or a rotten egg smell, are 100% sure signs that the bottom is lacking in oxygen.

2. - Bottom oxygen tests may show that the bottom is oxygenated. But these tests are usually made during the day, when aquatic plants are putting oxygen into the water. Bottom oxygen tests in the middle of the night may show no oxygen because plants take up oxygen during the night. At dawn oxygen can be near ZERO! Just a few hours without oxygen is enough to kill the beneficial bacteria and insects that feed on organic sludge - - - AND KILL FISH.

I don't care who is telling you, the oxygen cannot be "spot on" and have the smell of rotten eggs. Did they test the water on the BOTTOM? Was it in the afternoon (when oxygen is highest).

I can tell you care a great deal about the health of this fishery.

Phone

RUDD,

I don't want to talk disparagingly about your "testing". Here are a couple FACTS you should keep in mind.

1. - The presence of sludge or a rotten egg smell, are 100% sure signs that the bottom is lacking in oxygen.

2. - Bottom oxygen tests may show that the bottom is oxygenated. But these tests are usually made during the day, when aquatic plants are putting oxygen into the water. Bottom oxygen tests in the middle of the night may show no oxygen because plants take up oxygen during the night. At dawn oxygen can be near ZERO! Just a few hours without oxygen is enough to kill the beneficial bacteria and insects that feed on organic sludge - - - AND KILL FISH.

I don't care who is telling you, the oxygen cannot be "spot on" and have the smell of rotten eggs. Did they test the water on the BOTTOM? Was it in the afternoon (when oxygen is highest).

I can tell you care a great deal about the health of this fishery.

Phone

There has not been any rotten egg smell.

Tests carried out early to midmorning by EA and club members who keep Koi.

Had a look today, the water is clearing and no dead fish. Even saw signs offish feeding.

I doubt we will ever get a clear answer to what happened or know the true extent of fish loses.

The manager is reopening next week.

Still await EA report.

RUDD