Lake turnover a few questions

RUDD

So do I phone, Time will tell.

Later in the year the club will be looking into a fish survey.

One thing to consider is that every year you lose a little bit of lake (water volume) due to silt/leaves etc build up and at the same time fish get bigger.

Then there is the fact that fish spawn and a percentage survive as well as the other lake inhabitants.

Add together and soon the lake can struggle with the increase in biomass.

I am now 95% sure the fish population needed some reduction and that nature has now done that for us.

There are a couple of fellas going to fish there tomorrow and the Lakes are re-opening on Saturday.

I just hope anglers take it easy and use some common sense, it could be a case that they catch well as fish are hungry or a sudden angler presence and bait going in may put them off.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Just returned from a quick walk round and the two Anglers are catching well.

Sadly the last fish pulled out dead were some of the bigger Perch.

RUDD

RUDD,

I can give you a "trick" that will help 100%. After reading this I'd like you to Google so I don't have to type and type.

Use hydrogen peroxide to increase the DO in your swim. The amount of hydrogen peroxide required to oxygenate a still water swim is surprisingly small. The effect will be enormous and exceed your wildest expectations. It is by far one of the best attractants in a recovering water.

So, Google "hydrogen peroxide to increase the DO". How you deliver it is dependant on the swim. Available as a solid salt (salt is a good thing). DO NOT use the urea.

Phone

We would get arrested buyinv it i expect its another "terrorists" friend like everything is nowadays DOH

I'm surprised your scared of shadows CIA are not already kicking your door down just for typing it

If it were low oxygen i expect the EA would have already installed stuff ,perhaps maybe?

At

In the case of my pond everything was fine ,the EA chap even pointed out some freshwater coral showing it was!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just seen the post about fish deaths in Leiston and remembered I have not updated this post.

The Estate manager of the waters the club rents from is a very well to do chap.

Last week he was speaking to some of his land owning friends, one of whom owns alot of land with various sized waters on it.

He has had alot of fish deaths this year above the normal level expected by his estate managers on both coarse and Trout waters.

The conclusion reached was an explosion over the past two or three years of small fish, mainly Roach (which are also making up most of the deaths along with carp but very few other species) may have caused natural overstocking of waters.

Have any on here noticed an explosion of small roach at the waters they fish?

Back to the water in question: The EA could find nothing wrong, club Koi keepers with their own kits could find nothing wrong, no more dead fish for over a week.

Fish now recovering as water temp goes up and their immune systems sort themselves out.

The truth is no one is ever going to find out why the events have happened but can only draw their own conclusions and add to the speculation and rumours going round the local angling grapevine - strangly fuelled by mainly match angers.

Yesterday I had a walk around Suffolk water park where an open was taking place on one lake and A GAPS OAP match on another lake - from my match fishing days I saw six match anglers I knew spread over the two matches and stopped for a chat. All of them told me what they had heard around the match circuit, all similar but all wrong!

Several tackle shops in the area (who sell tickets for other waters / clubs) have also helped fuel the rumours further from what I hear along with a certain fish supplier.

There are some who think the world of angling can someday unite as one voice - good luck with that!

RUDD

• 5 weeks later...

RUDD,

Is it all sorted now?

What size algae bloom do you now notice?

I'd kinda like to know how the venue fishes this spring and early summer.

Phone

Plenty of Crucian caught. A few decent Roach, a couple of small Tench and some of the bigger carp have been caught.

During this weeks warm sunny weather loads of silver fish including chub have been spotted.

Its still along way off being right and the water is only just starting to colour up.

Pipersbruce had his first good day down there last weekend and was the first to catch any Perch since the problems began.

RUDD

RUDD,

I left you a bit of reading material earlier in the thread.

I suggest the "committe" or whomever get a couple copies of this EA publication to minimize "fish stories"

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/deoxygenation__eng_171216.pdf

I'm a believer in hydrogen peroxide. One source is several bales of barley straw in the margins.

Perch angling may be a problem if the "issue" interfered with spaw timing (either prey, predator or both). Maybe Bruno's food suppliment would be a short term answer. (no endorsement, I've never even seen the stuff)

I am still 100% convinced the initial problem was DO and will reoccur without intervention. - - - I could be wrong. I was wrong once in 1955, I'll never forget it.

Phone