Thoughts on Mackerel fishing

Sportsman

Had my first Mackerel trip for ages this evening from a rock mark in Aberdeenshire. Mackerel were in plentiful supply but the evening was spoiled by a couple of things.

Litter

This particular mark is quite hard to get to and is not used by anyone but anglers. There have been up to 20 anglers at a time fishing for the mackerel in the past few weeks.

The place is knee deep in Stella cans, sandwich wrappers and assorted tackle wrappers. Disgusting :angry: and absolutely no-one else to blame.

The second thing was the number of fish being caught.

Of the four other anglers fishing this evening 3 were using sets of "feathers" and were catching 3 or 4 fish at a time, each cast. There were piles of dead and dying fish around each "angler"

They were loading them into bin bags but most were abandoned on the steep climb back up to the car park.

My mate and I were using spinners, catching the fish one at a time and enjoying the sport. I filleted my catch (about 25 fish) and easily carried them out. They will be used in the next 24 hours. I wonder how many of the hundreds of fish killed this evening will be used.

I know that there are millions of them but does that excuse killing as many fish as possible, just because you can?

Pity, spoiled an otherwise enjoyable evening <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sportsman! I feel your pain.

Unfortunately, animals like those "so called" Anglers, are going to let down the genuine people who enjoy fishing, I've seen similar scenes before at rock marks at the Mull of Galloway where I do most my fishing. It's annoying that some people have no idea how to clear up after them, I regularly go on a mini clear up if I find a mark in a bad way, but I shouldn't need to, surely common sense (if they have any) would prevail? :g:

With regards to overkill, I've also seen this, and to say i was shocked was an understatment!! Have they no idea about conservation? there may be thousands of mackerel in a big shoal, but this kind of lunacy will only lead to a decline in quantities, and ultimately, the death of the sport (not as far fetched as some may think).

There doesn't really seem to be an answer, as I doubt the idiots responsible could be educated now.

I only take a few for bait, and release all the rest to fight another day :fishing:

Tight lines everyone!

I only take a few for bait, and release all the rest to fight another day

Well, thats fine, except that some research shows that "caught and released" mackerel do not live very long.

Personally, I don't see that as a big problem, as such fish, before dying, will lose some of their speed, and will therefore be the first ones to get eaten by a gannet, cormorant, tope, bass, big cod or other predator. These predators require a certain amount of mackerel for their supper anyway - so it might just as well be those that have been caught and released.

If someone is seriously into mackerel conservation then the only answer is that once they have all the mackerel they need to eat or use as bait, they might do as I do - stop fishing for them, and either fish for something else, or go home.

Catching mackerel on feathers is akin to digging lugworms, collecting peeler crabs or catching prawns in a net - its just food or bait collecting, and too easy to be seriously classed as a field sport, so why persist for longer than is needed?

After all, how many mackerel do these people need to "prove" their prowess as a hunter-gatherer?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yep I can relate to that!

Whilst fishing the MOG at a very good mark for them I was joined by a guy wearing a Kirkubrieght angling club top (not sure if that spelling is right or not but you get the drift) who proceeded to yank strings of 6 out and toss them on to the flat rock behind, stating that he needed around 60-80 as he intended to put them through the blender to make ground bait for mullet! Now I have no issue with taking fish for bait as I use some myself for winter pike fishing, but only in moderation and dealt with in an appropriate manner not with total disregard. :angry:

As for the rubbish some people should know better as it takes only a second or two to put your unwanted items in your bag not left foe the wombles to pick up!

Anyway I'm getting off me soap box now.

Well, thats fine, except that some research shows that "caught and released" mackerel do not live very long.

Personally, I don't see that as a big problem, as such fish, before dying, will lose some of their speed, and will therefore be the first ones to get eaten by a gannet, cormorant, tope, bass, big cod or other predator. These predators require a certain amount of mackerel for their supper anyway - so it might just as well be those that have been caught and released.

If someone is seriously into mackerel conservation then the only answer is that once they have all the mackerel they need to eat or use as bait, they might do as I do - stop fishing for them, and either fish for something else, or go home.

Catching mackerel on feathers is akin to digging lugworms, collecting peeler crabs or catching prawns in a net - its just food or bait collecting, and too easy to be seriously classed as a field sport, so why persist for longer than is needed?

After all, how many mackerel do these people need to "prove" their prowess as a hunter-gatherer?

Even so, mate, the dead fish will be sent along the food chain and, some do survive. Better that than letting them rot on the ground.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

You can increase a mackerel's chance of survival by not touching them with your hands (or cloth).

If you must use 'feather' lures for them, limit yourself to say, three hooks.

To unhook them, carefully grasp the bend or shank of the hook and shake them off. Needless to say, if you're 30' up a harbour wall, they may not even survive the drop; so just stop fishing for them when you have enough.

:rolleyes:

Even so, mate, the dead fish will be sent along the food chain ......... Better that than letting them rot on the ground.

Too right mate :) That's what I said.

RNLI Governor

It's the same over here in Ireland at the moment. Mackerel Madness I call it!

3 guys boasting how they caught 150 each the other night, shame they didn't let the kids have a go at catching a few. The kids are all fishing out of the action and can't get a look in. Sadly the kids are influenced by these men and will probably grow up to do the same.

Litter everywhere, I filled a bin liner the other night and the locals laugh at me and think I'm a stupid Englishman. Mind you there are no litter bins which is probably just as well as no doubt someone would fill them with household waste to save paying for collection.

The other problem is inappropriate tackle? 10lb line and casting 4oz leads with a string of up to 6 feathers. If they don't crack off they get snagged and leave all the leads and feathers on the bottom.

Rant over!

It's not like this in the fens!!

Colin

Mackerel Madness I call it!

3 guys boasting how they caught 150 each the other night,

... or to coin a phrase "a (s)prat to catch a mackerel" <_<

RNLI Governor

:o

... or to coin a phrase "a (s)prat to catch a mackerel" <_<

My first post, greetings one and all.

'Mackerel madness' has taken hold here at Herne Bay with up to forty people fishing Hampton Jetty. Whole families of holiday-makers assembling at the railings to feather and bring the the kiddies crabbing. Unfortunately they throw all their rubbish, plastic bags and bottles etc' into the sea rather that walk ten yards to the nearest bin.

Just been feathering since five this morning, bit patchy, seven Mackerel and a Scad of 1lb 6oz. Had gutted and put in the freezer for bait before checking the club specimen sizes. Oh well! perhaps I wouldn't have got fish of the month anyway.

Don.