I'm thinking of taking up pike fishing!

Peter Waller

I thinkin of taking up pike fishing this summer/winter...I have a 13' match rod, a woolworths reel...loaded with some 2.4lb line, and some size 22 hooks and a slamo disgorger.... am I going in the right direction?? :D:D

tight lines

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to AN by the way James - best fishing site on the 'net - bar none! :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I was in 2 minds of posting this or not :confused:

I am thinking about taking up Pike fishing, lures only.

I have a good selection of rods and reels, a big net and unhooking mat, I have adapted one of my disgorgers for tripple hooks. I know how to present a lure and play a fish.

What I am not sure about is the wire between the lure and the main line?

Am I being too basic here and with the chance of upsetting the dedicated Pike anglers it is just another type of fishing.

Due to the weather I have not been able to get out sea fishing for 2 weeks and I have a nice water outside my back window.

Serious question here and hope I have not put anyones back up.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

you want a decent wire trace alan, 7 strand is common, 20lb BS as a rough minimum, 18 inch is the length i prefer to use, though some use shorter, some use longer.

you can buy some readymades that are excellent, fox, rapala, leeda spring to mind but you can also get some absolutely shocking ones, so check them out before you part with your hard earned. making your own is easy enough, either crimped or twisted, someone on here gave me a link to a very good site (that i cant find now) that explains all the ins and outs of trace making so if anyone is reading this and knows the link, post it please!

:( Thanks Jeepster, looks as if the 150lb wire I have is a wee bit heavy then even though it is very thin

I used to crimp or splice wire traces for Conger but I think I will take a mate with me to the shop.

How do you cook Pike when you have caught them :D:D Only joking :)

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

:(

How do you cook Pike when you have caught them   :D      :D   Only joking   :)  

Alan

If you live in Holland then you're more likely to get help with that on your side of the North sea!!!

When I was a lad in the Hague there was on old cloggie who always used to annoy me by catching tench and pike from my favourite drain. I was just by my house and, when I was about 12 I did rather view it as my personal fishery. This guy was the only other person I ever saw fishing there. He'd always knock em on the head as he maintained they were 'leker' (nice to eat). Pike I can undertsand (they're not too bad) but tench????

My advice is to start pike fishing by going to a local river or canal where there are a lot of jack pike, get a good spinning rod, use a lure with a large single hook rather than treble hooks, net all pike you hook rather than trying to chin them out as you see on the TV programmes. buy ready made wire traces rather tahn making them until you are good at it. to be honest this is what i am still doing as I consider myself as an advanced beginner.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

i agree peter it is worrying, particularly at this time of year. personaly i think the upsurge in lure angling has led to the growth in summer pikers and to a point pikers in general. lure fishing for pie is so much less hassle than dead and particularly livebaiting, in that you dont have to spend the time obtaining bait as you have to with the other branches of the sport. with modern jerkbaits i think that this puts fish handling as a top priority, especially with the size of trebles on these.

however i think that the beginner these days are getting better. i recently bumped into a guy on a local pit who had recently taken up piking after getting back into it through his grandsons. he had all the unhookig gear, including a mat and handled his fish as well as me.

there is hope.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Dear Chaps,

I fish for barbel. Now there's a surprise!

But for a moment, say I wanted to knock barbel fishing on the head when the river temperature grew cold and barbel captures slowed down deciding instead to turn my attention towards pike. But say I did'nt have hardly any experience with catching, handling or caring for old stripy and wanted to learn more. Where could I find out more? I would of course appreciate as full and comprehensive list as possible please.

So where can I find out more?

Regards,

Lee.