I'm thinking of taking up pike fishing!

Peter Waller

A day out with either Matt Heyes, Des Taylor, Derek McDonald, John Watson, or Mick Brown to name a few! Or you could visit http://www.pacgb.com or have a word with Leon Roskilly via AnglersNet. The last two options being ideal for the more mature and experienced angler!! Good info is out there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Peter Martin;

My advice is to start pike fishing by going to a local river or canal where there are a lot of jack pike, get a good spinning rod, use a lure with a large single hook rather than treble hooks, net all pike you hook rather than trying to chin them out as you see on the TV programmes. buy ready made wire traces rather than making them until you are good at it. to be honest this is what i am still doing as I consider myself as an advanced beginner.

This just about sums up my first year of piking!

Nugg in answer to your query what made me take up piking... I fish a local canal where there are a lot of jacks and I had always regarded them in awe what a supreme predator, in much the same way as I regard barbel as a supreme species.

Having watched the usual stars on telly lure fishing I was taken with Gord Burton videos and Charlie Bettels book.

Although I have the utmost respect for our star names I dislike intensely the way one in particular encourages pike to tailwalk.

Having gained a theoretical knowledge and an insight into the life of this frail killer I set off to 'chuck a few lures about' and my first take from a jack around 3 1/2lb was an awesome feeling... and that as they say was that!

I was grateful for having been shown how not to be afraid of a pikes mouth by my father and unhooking just seemed quite natural.

To date I have had pike to 9 3/4lbs and have branched out from lures to deadbaits, e-bay is mainly responsible for the explosion in my lure boxes and I look forward to my first 'double'.

My video and book collection is still expanding too. I have not had a pike die on me yet, and I would rather strike too early and lose a fish than chance to deep hook such a magnificent creature. When I see folk watching their floats sailing off before winding down I cannot but wonder what they think is happening down below.

By the way I am not and never have been what might be called a carp angler, I would rather roam with a float and pin for chub or a tip for bream and tench.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Nik:

If you want to cook pike Alan, watch Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls escape to river cottage, he prepares one in that show   :)  

Nik, it was a JOKE (honest), I would no more consider eating a Pike as I would a Carp, Bream are good on the BBQ though :D

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

if there is anyone out there that wants some advice on pike fishing or zander then my web site should be up and running in the next few weeks. it is aimed at all predator anglers and me and my mate dave sarsfield have put a lot of work into it (6 months!!!) there are articles in the web site on tackle, baits, rigs,rig diagrams, fen drains, the broads in fact most aspects of piking. if it comes out as good as it looked in development then i am unashamed to say it will be very good!!!!

the address is

http://www.kestrelguides.co.uk

please let me know what you think when it is up and running.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Jeepster.

Regarding traces, could it be this one? It's explained in "Articles" well enough.

www.hooklinks.co.uk/pike/navigation...tml?=pike1.html

snotty.

Thanks for a very concise answer, and good luck for your 1st double.

"too many people wanting to take up pike fishing"

Yes increased pressure on a delicate fish is obviously going to be a bad thing.But you cant stop people.

"lots of people asking for advice on tackle,methods,and handling before they take up pike fishing"

In my mind a great thing.You can never stop people taking it up but if they are aware of the need to learn about their new prey then this must be good.

The increase in Pike fishing is in my mind down to one thing,the increase in people comming straight in to carp fishing.When the carping slows down in the colder weather the pike is the most logical alternative for the guy whose only tackle,experience is carp related.Not much point in trying to trot the local river for roach on a 3lbTC rod is there? Sadly despite my love of Pike they arnt the hardest of fish to catch.Add to this that their shape alone gives the impression of size and there you go green winter carp.This isnt critisism just (IMO)a fact.

These days there is loads of info available to anyone taking up Pike fishing. Magazines, TV, vidio,DVD,PAC,local club teach ins,and of course the internet with its many Pike orientated sites.Above all I would like to think that there is a raised awarness amongst more experienced Pikers for the need to pass on their skills to others,for the Pikes sake.

Just before Xmas I was going to put on another AnglersNet Pike teach in/fish in.Unfortunately I didnt get a good enough response and ran out of time.The main problems were the same as always ie too short notice,the time of year and above all finding a venue which was easily acsessable by all To make amends this comming Autumn I plan to organise a whole weekend this will hopefully make it more worth while for people travelling.The proposed venue has accomodation,bar,food facilities as well as some good pike fishing.I propose a combination of instruction,slide shows,guest speakers and of course fishing.This will be timed prior to the start of the "traditional" Pike season.I will post more details nearer the time.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!