They where there but I just couldn't catch 'em

Tigger

That's good fishing. But you say they refused a moving bait. So did you catch them on a static bait in some way? Or are you saying that, since you could see the fish, you were aware how many times they ignored the bait compared with the few times they took it?

I started off trotting and knew for sure there where fish in the swim (I could see 'em) and the bait was going right past them, even sliding over them. I removed the foat and replaced it with a couple of LG's (large shot) and cast out several peices of corn on a 14's animal hook (so legering really). I just held the rod and waited till I felt a fish take the bait or I watched the fish suck the bait in and then struck like a panther lol.

I started off trotting and knew for sure there where fish in the swim (I could see 'em) and the bait was going right past them, even sliding over them. I removed the foat and replaced it with a couple of LG's (large shot) and cast out several peices of corn on a 14's animal hook (so legering really). I just held the rod and waited till I felt a fish take the bait or I watched the fish suck the bait in and then struck like a panther lol.

Pretty exciting fishing then, out of interest how deep is the water you are fishing?

• Like 1

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Pretty exciting fishing then, out of interest how deep is the water you are fishing?

The water varied in depth along the extent of the swim from between 2ft to 4ft. The river is very rocky and is strewn with boulders. This makes ledgering an expensive method as often you can loose a feeder a chuck !

Funny enough when I was stood mid-river up to the top of my thigh waders I noticed a feeder lying between rocks under around 4 foot of water.

I reached over and tried to push the tip of my rod into the feeder with the intention of plucking it out. Although I did get my rod tip through the feeder the feeder just slipped back off. It must be the weight, I thought, I'll get it next time - if only I had realised!

So I tried again and was pleased to see I'd pushed the rod tip through the feeder mesh. Pleasure turned to dismay when on trying to lift the feeder I found it to be stuck by line that was wrapped under and around the nearby boulders ! I tried to free my rod tip but it was stuck solid in the feeder so I was in a right pickle.

I was stuck, unable to lift the rod to free it and yet unable to put it down. The only thing I could do was shuffle the rod butt behind me as I moved forward then lean down into the river with one arm (4ft deep) and get hold of the feeder (the side of my face had to go under the water !). I did manage to get it free and the hot sun did dry me and my shirt off within a few hours but I won't be using my rod to hook out stray feeders again.