They where there but I just couldn't catch 'em

Tigger

I had a day trotting on a stretch of one of my local rivers today. As expected the river was very low and pretty clear but being so low it gave access to some spots not accesable under normal circumstances. I hooked up with dace after a trott or two then caught a few small chub of about a pound. All the time I was fishing barbel where jumping all along the river and then I noticed there where lots of them just a rod length from me and totally ignoring me, not spooked at all. They where acting like carp in a garden pond just swimming about aimlesley and scraping their sides on the bottom, maybe trying to rid themselves of lice. They'd often rub themselves and then jump out as they righted themselves. I watched my bait float past them, sometimes bumping into them then sliding along their bodies. Eventually one sucked in a peice of sweetcorn and red maggots, not a big fish of around 7lb. After that I tried every shotting pattern under the sun, even removing my float completley, pinching on a swan shot and fishing on the bottom. This got a bit boring after a few minuites so I reverted back to the float tactics....stil no more barbel, just occassional chub and dace. It was quite frusterating having all those fish under my nose and not being able to catch em !

My only consolation was that no one else had caught any... :).

ugmh.jpg

Edited by Tigger

Guest I live in hope

They are probably post spawning and in a bit of a state after all the efforts of late, the flashing is not an attempt to rid themselves of lice but it's known that fish do this to extract mineral salts from the bed rock. It is even more essential they have this before and after spawning.

Tigger,

I agree with I Live In. However he didn't finish the obvious. A few grains of rock salt would probably be a better attractant than most any other offering.

A side note. Frustration in clear water can be "cured" with a 12/0 treble and 20 lb line. (may be to "American" to be funny in the UK)

Phone

I too caught a barbel this evening, note the use of the landing net and the unhooking mat :clap3:

DSCN1080_zps13f2fb41.jpg

Well done Chris, lovely young barbel. Note my nice clean and soft mat :).

Tigger,

I agree with I Live In. However he didn't finish the obvious. A few grains of rock salt would probably be a better attractant than most any other offering.

A side note. Frustration in clear water can be "cured" with a 12/0 treble and 20 lb line. (may be to "American" to be funny in the UK)

Phone

Narrh, "I live in hopes" theory is a none starter imo. Fish can't get minerals by scraping their flanks on rocks.

Latimera, where are you ?...tell 'em go on...tell 'em :).

I'm sure I recognise "I live in hope" :rolleyes:

Tigger,

Don't misunderstand - they then eat the debris from the scraping, they don't absorb it. Latimera could probably tell us if this is necessary in UK rivers or for that matter if it is a habit of barbel.

Phone

Guest I live in hope

Narrh, "I live in hopes" theory is a none starter imo. Fish can't get minerals by scraping their flanks on rocks.

Latimera, where are you ?...tell 'em go on...tell 'em :).

I'm sure I recognise "I live in hope" :rolleyes:

OK need convincing that salts are a super food? Try putting some real rock salt a some salt lick in a aquarium, the fish will hang around it and absorb it through their flanks and gills. The 'flashing' you see on rivers is very often the dislodging of salts, and of course it has other connotations as with spawning.

Don't use rock salt that is used to clear paths and roads it will kill the fish, an easier option would be horse licks or small rodent licks from pet shops animal feed merchants.

Nothing new in all this the Carp world has known about the benefits of salts in baits for years.

You say you might recognise me, not sure we have ever me though, but it's a small world.

Guest I live in hope

I too caught a barbel this evening, note the use of the landing net and the unhooking mat :clap3:

DSCN1080_zps13f2fb41.jpg

Gudgeon?

Guest I live in hope

I had a day trotting on a stretch of one of my local rivers today. As expected the river was very low and pretty clear but being so low it gave access to some spots not accesable under normal circumstances. I hooked up with dace after a trott or two then caught a few small chub of about a pound. All the time I was fishing barbel where jumping all along the river and then I noticed there where lots of them just a rod length from me and totally ignoring me, not spooked at all. They where acting like carp in a garden pond just swimming about aimlesley and scraping their sides on the bottom, maybe trying to rid themselves of lice. They'd often rub themselves and then jump out as they righted themselves. I watched my bait float past them, sometimes bumping into them then sliding along their bodies. Eventually one sucked in a peice of sweetcorn and red maggots, not a big fish of around 7lb. After that I tried every shotting pattern under the sun, even removing my float completley, pinching on a swan shot and fishing on the bottom. This got a bit boring after a few minuites so I reverted back to the float tactics....stil no more barbel, just occassional chub and dace. It was quite frusterating having all those fish under my nose and not being able to catch em !

My only consolation was that no one else had caught any... :).

ugmh.jpg

I have had six barbel this season, nothing to get too excited about as 5 came off the Wye, and 1 of the Warks Avon, however the average weight has been a factor with the best going 10.2 (WA) and the Wye all over 8 and most approaching 10, which is a pointer that the average size is on the way up. Bigger Barbel are a fine opponent although the smaller one's like the one in your picture have a certain beautiful symmetry there is no denying.