They where there but I just couldn't catch 'em

Tigger

Indeed yes.

So back to topic.

If you look closely at Tigger's photo, there is a bluish-grey oval blob at the base of the dorsal fin, and two more on the back just behind the dorsal fin. My Adobe Photoshop resolution isn't good enough to say they aren't just pieces of debris, but they just could be small fish lice. A better enlargement might tell us something.

One on the tail as well.

Where the fins insert into the body is a common attachment site, top of the head and with trout behind the adipose, but larger fish often have them actually on the fins. I've noticed a lot of mature females this Summer. 'Orrible little gits they are, I always pick them off and squish them, not doing much good but it's satisfying, like putting a sick rabbit out of its misery.

Tigger,

It is true fish may “flash” or rub against rough surfaces in an attempt to relieve irritation or to remove parasites. In some cases, there may be no obvious signs of the parasite.

I'll stand by whilst you discuss the direction of the thread. I don't believe we have the concentration of fish louse you experience in the UK. I will say EVERY commercial in the US gets salted about this time of year. When I fished alot I alway added 25 kg salt/mineral blocks and fished with salt as a secondary ingreedient (i.e. salted lobs). Depending on the pH most ponds got a pretty good dose of lime also. Both help control fish lice.

Phone

You might ask Lat but I believe carp blood is around 3.5% salt (much like our own).

Funny enough there was an old chap fishing just above me yesterday and he'd only had several dace. We had a bit of a chat and he reckoned that the lack of fish might be down to the otters (which I disputed). Anyhow after I told him what I could see and with the barbel jumping left right and centre he said "if it hadn't been for that he'd have thought the river was empty".

I actually think that more often than not where fishing over fish that just don't want to eat (or not what were offerring anyhow).

That would make sense as surely there is no way you could spend the whole day trotting different swims throughout a stretch and not encounter any fish (although seemingly I have done this many times being a lesser angler haha) the question is, how to overcome this or just accept that some days they will just not feed on what you are presenting?

On a side note it would appear there has been a sudden outbreak of myxomatosis RIP Rabbit the 4th

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

That would make sense as surely there is no way you could spend the whole day trotting different swims throughout a stretch and not encounter any fish (although seemingly I have done this many times being a lesser angler haha) the question is, how to overcome this or just accept that some days they will just not feed on what you are presenting?

On a side note it would appear there has been a sudden outbreak of myxomatosis RIP Rabbit the 4th

I think on a lot of occassions you just can't get them to feed no matter how much you induce, tempt, provoke, encite, bring on, stimulate etc etc. I think the only thing to do is come back later and try again and hope they've worked up an appetite. Like the old saying goes "you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink it" :).

Oh, rabbit will pop up again soon i'm sure !

Edited by Tigger

Latimeria,

Yep <>. See. you have more credibility on AN than I do. In fact, more credibility than one of our most famous US Presidents.

""""John F. Kennedy stated that humans may have a love of the sea “because we all came from it,” and, he claimed, it is a “biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean.” He also concluded that, for the same reason, we have salt not only in our blood but also in our sweat and tears.""""

Phone

RIP Rabbit the 4th

The sixth actually - they are breeding like........

Rabbit/Teme Man/Redfin/Onelastcast/Twofoottwitch/Iliveinhope

You can spot the style by the third post at the latest - should we run a "spot the rabbit" sweepstake ?

.....and, each incarnation seems to be shorter than the previous one, which may intrigue the mathematical amongst us - on towards the one-post bunny.

All part of life's rich pattern.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The sixth actually - they are breeding like........

Rabbit/Teme Man/Redfin/Onelastcast/Twofoottwitch/Iliveinhope

You can spot the style by the third post at the latest - should we run a "spot the rabbit" sweepstake ?

.....and, each incarnation seems to be shorter than the previous one, which may intrigue the mathematical amongst us - on towards the one-post bunny.

All part of life's rich pattern.

My bad I forgot tememan and redfin. I think a sweepstake sounds like a good idea, although not too hard its easy to spot a mile off, picked him out on two other forums within 2 posts! What does the winner get?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88