They where there but I just couldn't catch 'em

Tigger

Nice report there mate. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest I live in hope

Care to point us in the direction of web based 'proof' to back it up then as 'I need to look harder'

And if you would care to read my post again I didn't say that they were ridding themselves of lice did I? I said there were more references to that and none (as far as I can see) to back up your claims.

Anyway I can see where this thread is going so I'm leaving it at that, wonder how long this username will last :uhuh:

OK leave it to the adults, now go pick your toys up ...

Guest I live in hope

A couple of points firstly regarding lice, I must have been imagining that lice are common on fish that lay up for anytime in the Winter months then? Actually no it is a fact that lice will appear in greater numbers on such fish a Pike (especially) Carp and Barbel, the fact they are static on the bottom for long periods make them easy prey. Obviously being more active in warmer times would not allow for greater infestations.

The fish I catch in the Summer however I do not notice lice, so we seem to be at odds with that one, although it is common knowledge in Angling that winter lice are a regular sight.

I am sure that those that fish in the Winter could support that?

As far as what rock salt gives off when immersed is pretty much accepted, there is a dilution, certainly there is a dilution when it is licked by cattle and horses so the fact that this happens we should not discount that salt can be ingested by fish by flashing or similar.

You say that disturbing the bed rock in no way shape or form is an accepted way for fish to seek out salt, and yet it is common knowledge that fish are attracted to salt, so why would they not seek it in this way, seeing that they don't have any other way of extracting it.?

I can't imagine that that no way shape or form statement is a result of intensive studies that you have given the matter.

So you are saying that by rubbing their bodies against rocks the disturb or in some way rub off some "salt" and that they magically absorb this salt through the skin?

And you believe this nonsense??

Rabbit, your medication is wearing off. If I were you I would go away again and come back as someone with a scrap of common sense :uhuh:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Didn't think it would be long before he showed up again, pretty sure he just got banned from BFW forum for being a twofoottwat over there too.

Anyways back on topic, you saying there were pretty much ignoring your bait makes me wonder how often you could be in the right place trotting bait past fish that just aren't interested?

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Have I tripped over a rabbit hole? Oh, the shame! Where's that "ignore" button? To be banned from BFW you'd have to be either a proper decent bloke or an utter jeb-end.

Right, anyway Tigger, lice, deffo lice.

On the subject of fish avoiding baits, I have a small river just across the road from me, last Friday I went for a walk with some mixed maggots and casters and my polaroids until I found one of the shoals of roach. Flicking in bait, with a single 'got the shoal split to allow it to fall past them (I've seen them do this while trotting as well), and they'd actually swim away from any more than two or three. A good pinch would spook them 10 yards upstream, but they'd then return after a couple of minutes once the bait was static, swim around over them and then once the first fish picked one up they'd all start to up-end until they'd cleared the lot. Under a lot of conditions on rivers I'd back the trotted bait to pick up fish where the feeder would get the occasional unhittable bite but in this case I think maybe stret-pegging or a light link-leger would be the best options.

Edited by Latimeria

Anyways back on topic, you saying there were pretty much ignoring your bait makes me wonder how often you could be in the right place trotting bait past fish that just aren't interested?

Funny enough there was an old chap fishing just above me yesterday and he'd only had several dace. We had a bit of a chat and he reckoned that the lack of fish might be down to the otters (which I disputed). Anyhow after I told him what I could see and with the barbel jumping left right and centre he said "if it hadn't been for that he'd have thought the river was empty".

I actually think that more often than not where fishing over fish that just don't want to eat (or not what were offerring anyhow).

Have I tripped over a rabbit hole? Oh, the shame! Where's that "ignore" button? To be banned from BFW you'd have to be either a proper decent bloke or a utter jeb-end.

Right, anyway Tigger, lice, deffo lice.

On the subject of fish avoiding baits, I have a small river just across the road from me, last Friday I went for a walk with some mixed maggots and casters and my polaroids until I found one of the shoals of roach. Flicking in bait, with a single 'got the shoal split to allow it to fall past them (I've seen them do this while trotting as well), and they'd actually swim away from any more than two or three. A good pinch would spook them 10 yards upstream, but they'd then return after a couple of minutes once the bait was static, swim around over them and then once the first fish picked one up they'd all start to up-end until they'd cleared the lot. Under a lot of conditions on rivers I'd back the trotted bait to pick up fish where the feeder would get the occasional unhittable bite but in this case I think maybe stret-pegging or a light link-leger would be the best options.

Yeaph...deffo lice. This is a bad time of year for fleas on rabbits also, that's why mixin your toasties is rife in the warmer months.

I reckon your right Pete, often the fish won't take a moving bait and prefer a static one...wierd in'it, infact that theory has proven correct on many of my fishing tripps. I've often swaped the float for a leger or layed on and caught fish right away in the very same swim as trotting a bait has failed five minuites earlier.

Nice report there mate. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Indeed yes.

So back to topic.

If you look closely at Tigger's photo, there is a bluish-grey oval blob at the base of the dorsal fin, and two more on the back just behind the dorsal fin. My Adobe Photoshop resolution isn't good enough to say they aren't just pieces of debris, but they just could be small fish lice. A better enlargement might tell us something.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...