Float rod advice

Piperspruce

You know, there isn't anything wrong with the hyperloop at all. Maybe I'm just being frivolous. Thanks for your advice all, got plenty to consider now, Ill check out some of the rods suggested, but maybe I'll possibly invest the money in some other area of my tackle instead.

Without knowing very much about the comparative merits of modern match rods, that was my thought when I read your first post.

Mat Hillman's advice to buy a good 'pin if you haven't got one already is worth considering. That opens up a whole new experience in playing a good fish.

IMHO a good angler can catch fish with almost any rod designed for that style of fishing. Yes, some handle better than others, but almost unconsciously you adapt to the characteristics of the rod you are using at the time.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Just had a quick look on eBay. There is a TFG pin on there for £26 with free postage and packaging. They're claiming it has an RRP of £230!! Surely that's a RRP they never actually sell it at, and for £26 you won't get a workable reel?

They're brilliant. Whether anyone ever paid the RRP for one is open to debate, but believe me; you'll be hard pushed to find a better pin for 26 notes.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

For £26 it would let me find out if I like using one nice and cheaply, I've half thought about getting one for a while, seeing as most of my fishing is done in the margins or a few rod lengths out it seems a lovely way to fish.

Maybe I'll take a punt on one then let you know how I get on. If nothing else it could help me develop my skills in unlocking birdsnests!

Phone

"He who dies with the most toys wins" Love it :clap3:

As for is it worth paying more, it's a matter of opinion. An entry level Shakespeare rod is perfectly useable and probably better than a great may "top end" rods of yesteryear, As you pay more you should expect better fixtures and fittings. Not always the case though.

An example springs to mind. I had a friend in Scotland who bought in some entry level fly rod blanks, dressed them up with quality fittings and sold them as high end custom builds, He even had them reviewed by the "serious" angling press where they extolled the blank's virtues and said things like "it has the smoothness and action that only a top blank could achieve" Now don't get me wrong, they were very nice rods, but they were built on an inexpensive blank. The trick was that he sold them at a high price and anything that costs that much must be good.

I think many people would be surprised at how cheap rods are when bought in bulk from the far eastern factories. If you take advantage of a well known "UK" manufacturers life time guarantee for example then the £30 handling charge will more than pay for a new rod. You are probably paying £150 for a £15 rod in these cases.

I build my own rods because I enjoy doing it, not because it saves money.

A really good, expensive rod will be thinner (and more fragile) lighter, recover quicker and hopefully be made up from quality components. Whether YOU will enjoy fishing with it more is as I said at the beginning, a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I bought a couple of second hand discontinued rods from eBay last year, which cost more now than when they were new. They were top of the range and hand finished, and built on very good blanks.

Do they make me a better angler? I've got no idea because I daren't actually use them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I bought a couple of second hand discontinued rods from eBay last year, which cost more now than when they were new. They were top of the range and hand finished, and built on very good blanks.

Do they make me a better angler? I've got no idea because I daren't actually use them.

LOL...Yes i know what you mean..Mine is slightly different as i have an old Pike bung float that caught me my first ever Pike at the age of 10 so that's 1971 . I could never use that now so although a bit off topic i know what you mean. With mine it's sentimental with you it's precious. I used to know a guy who bought the first ever R1 motorbike . He never rode it and it sat in his front room as an ornament. I never knew if he ever rode it but part of it i am sure that he would have to be the fastest round the track on it so he dare not chance a crash on his spanking new motorbike...

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Okuma aventa pro vt1002

I think I have posted about them a few times.

Great reels - the same mechanically as the more expensive Okuma's just not quite as pretty. I owned one for quite a while and had no problems with it.

Mat

Mat

I think like many things in life that the ‘Feel good’ factor is more important to some more than others. We are all different
Others believe that it will put more fish on the bank. Unless i think you are a very busy match angler it will not be the case but again each to their own.
With me if i have the money to spare i work out how much i can spend on a rod. Then get the best available by searching for deals or using E-bay. The main reason is not the feel good factor it’s the fact that if i come to sell it i will get more money for it. Yes, i know it could be argued that you paid more money in the first case but 10 years down the line you will have forgotten that and the + side is that you have a half decent quality rod in the meantime.

As for a centerpin some of my best days fishing i can remember is trotting on the stretch of the avon. i can still remember that week we all had even 20 years ago

I would love to have the ability to make my own rods it must be very satisfying you lucky people out there

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

If your just using a rod for float fishing or legering where it's actually in the rests for long periods a mid range rod or less should be ok. If your going to be doing some serious trotting then a higher end rod will make it much more pleasureable and will catch you more fish. There are several or more reasons why it'll help to catch you more fish but i'll let you work them out for yourselves.