How to determine the weight of a fly rod ?

Andy_1984

Had this fly rod for years and it has no markings on it except the name "Orvis Graphite" which has almost completely faded.

There isn't anything else to tell me which weight it is so I thought there must be a way to test it and find out.

I got hold of Orvis and they tried to help but came to the conclusion it's not one they built, but it is one of their blanks.

So I found this site: http://suite101.com/article/how-to-determine-the-weight-of-a-fly-rod-a198459

Does this sound about right ?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Difficult to say if it's 'about right', without knowing the logic behind his calculations.

I'm NOT an expert fly-fisherman - I do little more than play at it, but I'm well aware that the line ratings given to many fly rods is quite arbitrary, and indicates what SHOULD be the best weights of lines to use with that rod under normal circumstances.

BUT - watch two different anglers using the same type of rod; one with talent on a river, and another on a stocked trout reservoir who looks more like he's trying to throw a war-hammer ... what you get from the rod, and which line is most likely BEST is very likely influenced to a large degree by the angler in question and the technique in use.

The calculations that the guy in your link offers are simple enough to follow, and may well give a general indication of the correct weight of line to use; indeed his method could be stunningly accurate. Personally, I'd be tempted to put the rod into the hands of someone I knew with a talent for casting a fly (plenty of 'em up in Scotland, allegedly? :-) ), and ask them to attach a reel / cast a line - they'll very quickly be able to tell you if a line is too light / heavy to be loading the rod properly.

If all else fails, take a couple of inches off the tip and re-attach a tip-ring - 're-educated' fly rods can make crackin' spinning rods! :-)

Edited by philocalist

The problem is that the correct line rating for the rod is largely a matter of opinion. Do you know someone who's a decent caster and has a selection of lines to try it out with?

The problem is that the correct line rating for the rod is largely a matter of opinion. Do you know someone who's a decent caster and has a selection of lines to try it out with?

Spot on. I was (am) a crap caster of a flyline and could never load the rod properly so I used lines heavier than the rod was rated for to compensate. You need someone who knows what they're doing really.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Andy,

The answer is on a papyrus scroll in one of the Great Pyramids of Egypt.

Phone

I would wait a while before going to look at it !!

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I would wait a while before going to look at it !!

Phone should remember what's on it, He probably wrote it! ;) :wheelchair:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I am far from being a decent fly-caster, but I do have a selection of fly lines from #2 to #7, loaded on cheapish fly reels (no point in expensive fly reels for lines up to #7 - above that, for permit, bonefish, tarpon, steelhead, salmon etc. its a very different story)

When I acquire yet another ancient split-bamboo or greenheart flyrod, which usually are not marked with an "official" weighting, I just try various line weights until it feels right TO ME. Like the gent said, "correct" weight might be a matter of opinion.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...