spinning on rivers for Brown Trout ,My sunday story

cannibalspinners

Do any of you guys ever spin for brown trout on rivers.

I do it a lot . usually i am fishing for perch that have escaped from the local resevoir

the perch end up in the fast flowing river & they seem to thrive.

I catch a lot of trout in the river whilst throwing spinners out for perch.

Just on sunday ( Yesterday , 4-8-13 )

i caught a few perch all under the half pound mark , However i caught about

10 Brown trout ,3 were 3/4 of a pound ,1 was 1 1/4 pound , The rest between 1/4 - 1/2 pound.

It was real top sport , I must say they fought 10 times harder than any perch i caught yesterday.

As much as i enjoy spinning in the river for perch the Brown trout catches were far superior

The largest trout put up a cracking fight , I was using 4 lb breaking strain nylon

it took a few mins to get him out , I know a fish of 1-1/4 lb on this forum is small fry

But i just thought i would share my sunday afternoon tale with anyone who is interested

It has always been my thought that Biggest is'nt always best

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

did they taste nice?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Yes mate, making spinners and brown trout were my bread and butter. I don't do it much these days but it's a good way to kill a few hours.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

In my teens and twenties I racked up thousands of trout by means of the "upstream spinner" in the small streams of the High Weald

For the last 50 years I have only used that method to catch a breakfast trout or two - it becomes just too easy. It is easier still in wider streams than the Wealden ones.

In any clear trout stream anyone who can cast accurately and has a modicum of watercraft can amass a huge bag - I reached the conclusion many years ago that just because I could is not a reason why I should.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes. Spotties are making a very welcome return to rivers like the Severn.

With less angling pressure and relatively few people fishing maggot, less of the trout that are there are being caught, knocked on the head and left to spoil in a creel for four hours while the "anglers" catching them finnish their match.

There's a few spots where they can be targetted and a tiny number of places where I can say I could go to with a high probability of catching them - the chub and perch are always obliging though.

There's plenty in a couple of small local rivers that I fish as well and they're the main reason why I don't go smaller than a size two Mepps on those venues - trout do like to swallow lures down and while a bigger lure will bounce a few fish off, you get less that are deep hooked.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

trout are very easy to catch on bait and spinner and offer little sporting achievement only of note if fly caught

still taste good however caught

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

No , Never ate them , I like to return all my catch ,

However it takes a certain degree of skill to catch them on the spinner

You have to retreive at the correct rate , Choose spinner colour carefully , Sometimes they wont look at certain colours.

The place i fish there is lots of over hanging branches , Large rocks , Many more obstacles & our old friend Carpets & Carpets of weed

Too slow a retreive & you have a hook full of weed too fast & you skim the surface.

I am sure there is a book out there called ' The Art Of Spinning ? ,has anyone heard of this

Cheers for the interesting feedback Guys !!!

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Phone

(maybe someone knows how to enlarge it)

Just click on Ctrl & + to enlarge - Ctrl & 0 (Zero) to return to normal size.

r

In any clear trout stream anyone who can cast accurately and has a modicum of watercraft can amass a huge bag -

You can only catch whats here...'huge bags' can only be amassed if trout are there in huge numbers of trout present.

I was trout spinning (on a trout and salmon river) earlier this year, and though about your theories on the wonders of the upstream method, even tried it, and while it may work in some places it isn't practical every where. To get a spinner moving downstream in the very best stretches one has to click the bale arm over and start winding before the lure hits the water, otherwise it is already washed downstream. I don't of course know the rules which apply to the waters you fish on, but here the level has to be a certain height before spinning is permitted, which means a powerful flow in our spate rivers. It (upstream) works but not dramatically better on slower pools. That day the winning mothod was drawing a small stubby shallow running crank (plug) over the glides at the tail ends of pools.

Would you recommend the same method for salmon spinning? I know and have seen (and have had no little success myself too) some quite excellent salmon anglers who know the river exceptionally well, and they always employ the across and downstream method. many lures are designed to work at their best moving upstream, the Devon minnow for example which hardly requires any retrive turning of the reel handle at all, and relies upon the flow to impart the proper action. Bladed spinners and cranks can be fished that way too.

We cast our wet flies (including salmon ones) across and downstream alowing the current to act upon these in the same was as natural submerged food items are driven by the flow. These can be guided into likely fish holding locations and so in the same way can a spinning lure. There is little if any control over either of these when they are being washed down stream at a significant rate of knots. one would have to crank like mad in order to impart action,

I belive that I am open to all suggestions, in both fishing and wider life, and embrace constant learning, indeed I have tried and had sucess with methods and tactics which have been outside the box of local accepted knowledge, but find the notion of castng spinners upstream on 'our' waters at least a very awkward and less than satisfying performance.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"