does anyone know of these venues...?

PW910

Only thing I'm worried about is fishing somewhere I shouldn't! But I 100% understand where everyone is coming from now. But like I said before I honestly didn't know that some anglers where like this at all!!!

Don't worry about it mate, nobodys having a go at you, it's just something you learn with experience. Many think it's selfish, but I think you understand different now.

John.

Edited by gozzer
  • Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As a rider to my last post, and disregarding the effect angling pressure on fish, I have experience the effect on the owners of the fisheries from over fishing.

Over the years we have had permission to fish several 'off the beaten track' waters, with no more than just having to ask. We built up a good relationship with most of the landowners, and even became friends with some. If we were there and the owners needed help, then we gave it. We even supplied the young son of one family with most of his tackle, and gave him tuition. We always kept the knowledge of these waters to a select few, and didn't over do our visits. In every case the locations got out, usually through a betrayal of trust. The problems got so bad, with dozens turning up, parking in stupid places, leaving gates open, leaving litter etc, that the landowners had to put a complete ban on fishing. I can think of at least five waters that were lost this way, and I don't blame anyone for keeping a place a secret, anymore. The anglers had only themselves to blame, but others suffered because of their stupidity and disregard for other peoples property.

Feel for you mate,when will people understand,Pike fishing is different from any other sort of fishing. I will blatantly lie if I am piking and someone asked if I have caught anything.I do it for the sake of the pike.

John.

Don't worry about it mate, nobodys having a go at you, it's just something you learn with experience. Many think it's selfish, but I think you understand different now.

John.

i just think its a shame about that people treat these preds the way they do! I'm on the Farnham Angling Pike Teach In today, something you gotta do before you fish for pike on the Farnham waters :)

• Like 2

In all honesty when and if I do catch a fairly decent fish from a near venue/stretch of river I will share it with you guys but keep it to myself, I will tell others I can trust too! And if pictures are taken I will have them done so others can't make out the location! And now I understand why, as reading on a few sites.....

27LB pike was caught from a certain venue, bloke told few guys and sent pics to magazines with info on the area he was fishing, 3 weeks later said pike was found dead with its mouth all tore up due to stupid rigs!!!!!!

NOW I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ALL ON ABOUT!!!!! Cheers for educating me!!!

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty when and if I do catch a fairly decent fish from a near venue/stretch of river I will share it with you guys but keep it to myself, I will tell others I can trust too! And if pictures are taken I will have them done so others can't make out the location! And now I understand why, as reading on a few sites.....

27LB pike was caught from a certain venue, bloke told few guys and sent pics to magazines with info on the area he was fishing, 3 weeks later said pike was found dead with its mouth all tore up due to stupid rigs!!!!!!

NOW I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ALL ON ABOUT!!!!! Cheers for educating me!!!

I used to belong to Farnham AS and have always recommended anglers who don't even want to go pike fishing to go to a teach in, as like myself may catch one when it's taken something else you've caught. I used to fish Thorpe Park years ago. Before it was open to the public for fishing they used to have pike fishing days in the main park. I used to fish the ski lake as well. There used to be a good head of pike in there, nothing massive, I think 15lb was about my biggest. As everyone has pointed out, pike do need a lot of careful handling and if they've had a season with out spawning then that will wipe most of them out as well. But both Bury Hill and Thorpe Park are worth a try. If you are a member of Farnham them you should be spoilt for choice for Pike fishing. Hope that helps and don't take any of the other comments personally we are all here to help when we can. Let us know how you get on.

lyn

• Like 1

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hi Lyn

Keeping well i hope

• Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

PW910. Best of luck with youre piking and well done on attending a Teach In. So many don't feel they need to. I used to run a lot of Pike teach ins during the season but when my health started failing I had to stop. However this last few months after my operation has seen a BIG improvement in my health so maybe next year I can take them up again. Im off to the Broads for two weeks to "start my pike season" as Ive done for a few years now. I will let you guys know how I get on but there wont be any details of exact places!

• Like 1

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

PW910. Best of luck with youre piking and well done on attending a Teach In. So many don't feel they need to. I used to run a lot of Pike teach ins during the season but when my health started failing I had to stop. However this last few months after my operation has seen a BIG improvement in my health so maybe next year I can take them up again. Im off to the Broads for two weeks to "start my pike season" as Ive done for a few years now. I will let you guys know how I get on but there wont be any details of exact places!

Thats why i called you 'Dick Dastardly' you crafty old boy you...I am going to get a wet suit and spy on your destinations. So if the water levels start to rise around your boat you better stop fishing !!!

• Like 1

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

TBH this forum has got a lot better on the whole Pike police thing and I was one of those preaching ,PAC a teach in or just going with an exp Pike guy will gfive a good grounding providing which ever of the above actually gets you hands on unhooking otherwise the first time you fly solo it will be ........interesting

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: