Kayakfishing Chat - more

Newt

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the mad house, and Anglers Net.

We got laughed at too :) , and still get some funny looks when launching.

For rigging advice , go to www.anglerafloat.co.uk good safety page there that will lead you to safe Kayakfishing.

Also take a look at www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Another good site is www.sit-on-topkayaking.com

That should keep you busey :)

The Yak you fish from depends on what you want to do out there, and your size/build etc.

If your happy to go out with a rod and a couple of lures, the Scooter Should be fine.

Certainly easey to transport, and store.

Looks about the same size as the Ocean Kayak Frenzy.

There are plenty here to help if you need it.

You may feel like going to a bit bigger Yak later on, then again, you may not :D enjoy the ride.

Catch you later.

yy :)

[ 17. April 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Yakity-Yak :) The scooters a bit smaller & slender than the Frenzy, the Frenzy's a bit more of a boat. My brothers got one & I find paddling a bit awkward due to me being 5'7" in a wide Yak.

The Scooters the ideal allrounder so I'm hoping for surfing fun as well as a bit of fishing :cool:

I'll be doing a bit of snorkelling too this year too hopefully from the yak, over a couple of shallow wrecks & the Scooter has a "canny" storeage hold in the back for fins, masks & stuff.

I'll go & look at them links now as there's a couple there I haven't seen,

cheers!

Hi Andy, welcome to AN :)

If you do a lot of surfing maybe it would be better not to modify the yak with permenant rodholders etc. I have a similar storage area on my Perception freedom, and just made up a crate to fit . The crate was made by taking a jigsaw to a plastic fishbox, cable tying it togeather, then Cable tying on a couple of plastic pipes for rodholders . It looks rough and ready but has worked well for 3 years.

YY, how many of "us" are there now? Im sure you keep count

SM, cheers for the Lidls tip.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

One question... WHY THE HELL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT FISHING FROM KAYAKS??? The tides, seas and weather make this damned dangerous and it shouldnt be being advertised on a public forum where young anglers will be reading and asking their parents for kayaks... Im waiting for the first reports of a death on the telly. If you cant afford a boat then hire one for the day... dont paddle out in a tiny unstable kayak, ready to get swept away any minute. *sigh* Whats the use! Cant believe nobody has said this very obvious statement yet

Hi Glasgowdan.

Your either on a wind up, or realy have little or no understanding of Kayakfishing. :)

Do you have first hand knowlage of Kayakfishing?

With regards to young anglers getting a Kayak to fish from, you would hope the parents of the yougsters would first look into the sport, and ask lots of relevent questions.

To be quite honest, I am proberbly better prepared for the sea than most of your so called PROPPER boaters.

You would be far better talking to us, than trying to make us out to be a dangerous ill equipt group.

So......lets be having you Dan......come talk to us

Yakety-Yak-uk

Dan, fair question to ask.

ANY craft is dangerous in the wrong hands if someone goes out unprepared and does not understand or take account of wind,tides and seas. Safety is a process and attitude not a bit of kit.

The kayaks we use are not as unstable as you seem to imagine; in three years I have yet to fall in except when surfing. If i do end up in the water Im dressed for it, and getting back on the yak is a matter of seconds. Its not really like a normal boat and the approach to safety is more akin to diving. Its also not really about cost (though they are much cheaper), I could afford a boat but prefer the kayak!

However, its fair comment about any "advertising" that encourages people who are not confident or able to have a go. I'm sure deaths will occur, like they do in any watersport, but it strikes me that talking about the issues and learning from each other on a public forum is the way to go. Sorry, but if some parent buys their kid a yak/jetski/dingy/surfboard/windsurfer etc etc, without considering the safety implications thats down to them.

Off topic, and just a personal thing , but IMO the UK is generally becoming way to averse to risk and personal responsibility. What kind of kids are we going to be raising if they are wrapped in cotton wool the whole time?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Jaffa,

:D Can you believe that!!!

I hope Dan does come back for a chat, with some of the guys

I went out today, it was only blowing at about F7 from the East.

Seas were heavey, about a 7ft swell, but I had my helmet on :rolleyes::rolleyes: ( just kidding Dan )

As you say mate, will get better soon.

we have been on a few paddles, not fishing though, same as you.

Just nice to be out there, keeps the fitness up too......cough....cough.......wheeeze.

I think this topic will be buzzing once the guys start getting out again.

Looking forward to seeing how we all get on this season.