You & your YAK?

Fishyak

Hiya KelvinDavies11

I filled the 4 pint milk bottle up with sand and it weighed 8lb

It still didnt hold bottom either,maybe with a chain it would.

I now have a 3lb anchor with 1 meter of chain and 100 meters of cord.It holds a treat.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are useing a bottle,the chain will make the bottle lay flat on the sea bed.If you have no chain on you will probably find the bottle is bobbing on end.So it wont slow you down much unless you have a real low neap tide.

Same with the anchor,the chain makes it grip better by keeping the anchor on its side.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Been 'yak fishing for 3 years now, bought a Dagger Frolic in '02. Starting to show her age, probably a Prowler next time, and I'll keep the Frolic for surfing.

Most of my fishing has been in the west country, my yak was down there for a year at my folks. Recently started fishing locally (Kent).

Bass are my thing, still waiting for a double tho' biggest so far 9lb 12oz..not on the yak.

I envy the guys heading to Wales this weekend, have fished Sarn Bwch a lot in the past, have had a lot of nice Tope there, used to launch my Seahog from Tywyn. There are some cracking mullet in Broadwater as well.

I used to use a 20lb class Penn from the yak, using a cut down 3lb T/C carp rod now, butt cut, not the tip, and re-gripped. Handles lures nicely and an ounce or 2 of lead if I anchor.

Fished off Sheppey last weekend, couple of small schoolies, but some bigger ones about, was only out for an hour and a half... got too d****d hot!

Look forward to seeing u all around some time :cool: :cool:

A length of chain for the bottom part of your anchor warp serves two purposes;

The chain helps the anchor to hold by lying flat on the bottom and acting as a buffer to stop the anchor from dragging.

Chain is more wear and cut resistant than rope so it strengthens the warp which would see most wear when the anchor is used over rough ground

Just bought my first yak, an Ocean Kayak Drifter. Plan to use it mainly for pike/perch/chub lurefishing on slow rivers and stillwaters around Derbys/Notts/Staffs area. Hopefully the odd trip to coasts once I get used to the kayak and get an idea of where to find sheltered water for beginners.

Finally got round to uploading some pics .....

Spanner

41 yrs young

5'10, 12st and then some but coming down as I get fitter paddling :)

Based in Aberdeen but fish all over Scotland

Ocean Kayak Prowler13 Angler Edition

Best experineces so far; having 2 dolphins performing an acrobatic show just for me, seeing a garfish in Scottish waters

Worst experiences so far......forgetting my paddle :(

Here she is ready to go from Terally Bay

yak1.small.jpg

And here is a better view of the brackets I made up to take the RAM mounts for the GPS and FishFinder, and rod rests when I get them.

yak2.small.jpg