Dawn Versus Dusk

The Flying Tench

John - well done on the PB - was it from SM? That 3lber might be just around the corner! I usually prefer dawn though not for any particular angling reason - I suspect both dusk and dawn are equally good for the species you're after - but really coz I'm a morning person and I have a better chance of the swim I want!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that chub and carp fishing is best in the evening. As to perch, Tony Miles says

A method I have perfected over the years takes advantage of the extreme voracity of big perch at dawn, when much of their usual caution is temporarily abandoned. Present a bait in the correct spot at daybreak and, if there's a big perch there, he'll have it instantly. So long is my list of good perch where the bait was taken literally seconds after being cast at dawn that it cannot be coincidence.

From a purely selfish point of view I find dawn to be the best time.

You just cannot beat the peace and tranquility of making your first cast just as the sun starts to rise. The morning mist shrouding the water, the birdsong and the general calm as the majority of the country is still sound asleep.

Isn't fishing wonderful!!! :)

This is a wonderful subject!!

I have fished both at dusk and at dawn and enjoy both. One thing I have found, and I wonder if this is just me: If I fish at dawn, it would appear that whatever bait I present, becomes the "bait for the day", whereas if I fish at dusk, I have to find the bait that works! :rolleyes:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

9-am-2pm for pike in winter,most takes seem to come between then,in summer i have had them snatch baits at all times(intended for zeds) however i have been very suprised on some days i have left baits out well into the day and they have not been touched,but come dusk i know one will put an appreance in same goes for dawn,but yes they do take during the day as well in summer a couplke of hours after dawn can be good right up to 8.am(gets light at 4-5).

this is with deadbaits and livebiats not lures.

forgot to add,that i think alot of waters,especially clear rivers and pits,teh bigger fish feed at night,summer and winter,some will at some point get a meal in teh day,passing prey for instance,but it is something i really beleive in and aim to find out for sure!

Edited by Ratty Fitzpatrick46

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

congratsb on the pb and as aforementioned interesting thread, i have found from keeping records of fish captures over the last 4 years that the importance of dawn or dusk is very much linked with the individual water you are fishing, i fish several rivers, many drains, canals and lakes and some of these venues have shown clear patterns in favour of dusk and others dawn. My best advice would be to fish at both times on several occasions and record the time of captures to reveal any preference shown on feeding spells. I can now go to certain venues knowing that the fish have feeding spells that you can set your watch to (very handy if your time is limited on the bank). However i do not know of the situation in summer as pike and perch are not my target species.

To be perfectly honest i dont think it really matters!!!!!.After 30years of fishing i`ve thrown the "rulebook" away.I enjoy fishing both dawn and dusk,but as for certain fish feeding better at certain times of day,i believe they ALL go through different phases,at certain times of the year.There have been countless trips where i`ve stuck to the rulebook,and it all ends up going wrong !!.But on the other hand countless other trips where i`ve had red letter days where the rulebook gets thrown out the window!!

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Dave, I know of your exploits with naturel baits, but not lures. If I had to choose between an evening session and a morning session during the summer I would rather go for the evening, and that is nothing to do with laying in! But during the summer I'm very much a lure only type. So, I'm wondering, maybe a static, naturel bait in the morning, when the pike are actively hunting, and a lure in the evening when the angler is actively hunting. Fanciful thinking, or is there a glimmer of a sound theory there? Just a thought.

Winter, yes, evenings if the beasties feed outside mid-day, or do you find the mid-day theory flawed?

No I'd agree with possible (even likely) midday feeding sprees in winter Peter.

I cant comment on the Lures v baits thing as I simply have too little experience with lures to draw upon.

Edited by Dave Horton