Sky Bloodsport Ban Poll

mass2k5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told yesterday that the RSPCA have done a U-turn on their attitude toward Fox-hunting because they think that there is now more suffering in the fox population than when they were hunted.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

"but comments as above are ill conceived, and highly insulting to the person you were addressing, I would suggest you apologise to Matthew."

But your were not trying to lecture to me?

The reason I bought up being a nurse was after being accused of just being interested in killing and not in preserving life.

I was interested in hearing you experiences on a clay shoot, and you ask why I don't take up clay shooting???

Behaviour like that would not be tolerated on any shoot take part in.

I am lucky, I don't have to frequent commercial shoots, in the same way that a lot of anglers don't like commercial fisheries. I live in a part of the country where the opportunity exists and given that most of my friends are professional stalkers, keepers and ghillies, I get to take full advantage.

I accept that most anglers no longer use keep nets and that they are genuinely interested in fish welfare but I still can't square it with the way fish are handled after capture. The apalling fish handling on view every day on TV gives more support to the antis than my posts ever will.

An example, - the laughing boy from Norfolk has just landed a large carp. It is netted, carried from the waterside some distance and laid on an unhooking mat. He then wipes his hand from head to tail 2 or 3 times, wiping off slime. He picks it up, but it flips and he almost drops it so he wildly clutches it to the front of his chest, wiping slime off all over his clothes. he then holds it up for the camera but it moves and he drops it again. He then wipes it another 2 or 3 times to remove bits of grass which may spoil his picture. The fish is then proudly held aloft for the photo. All of this has taken several minutes and has meant a large amount of uneccessary handling.

At the end of it he has the nerve to say in a patronising voice "lets put it back straight away!"

and thats just the bit we see!!

I think the fact that carp survive this type of treatment says more about their hardiness than careful handling

Lets not even mention the mad Australian whose idea of putting fish back carefully is to see how far from the boat he can throw them with an underarm swing :angry:

The fact is in most cases there is no need to even touch the fish, they can be bought to the edge, unhooked (I use a Ketchum release) and allowed to swim away. Why do they have to be weighed and photographed? and rabbit, I didn't mention a glass case.

If this type of thing is not typical, why do we not see more posts on here condemming it.

I can tell you, if I treated trout in such a way at my local fishery I would be (quite rightly) barred.

Mathew, you may well have been kneeling, I still think that the photo was uneccessary handling and Ant, of course I would respect you :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

This thread has the potential to get real nasty real quickly.

Right now things are back to relatively civil and I don't feel like following the discussion that has strayed pretty far from the original theme (wonder if it was a troll of some sort).

Locking it now mostly to avoid future bloodshed amongst AN members.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President