Keep Me Warm!

Gaz51

I'm sick of sitting fishing with my knees knocking and teeth chattering because I'm frozen daft.

Yes, I've got the Goretex gear which is fine for keeping the rain off but without layers it offers no warmth whatsoever.

For my winter sessions I'm considering getting a two piece suit (jacket/bib& brace). I'm thinking about getting a quilted toasty warm set up. I don't want to spend a King's ransom but I also don't want anything cheap and nasty.

Any good suggestions folks? :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about buying similar gear myself, and I'm going to be looking initially at the Wychwood and Ron Thompson ranges, as these both seem to offer good value for money. Sundridge clothing gets a lot of good reviews, but would be stretching the budget a bit for the amount that I'm likely to be using it at the moment.

Have you tried the new under thermal suits from Wychwood. I was going to say "sleepskin" system but that's a Sundridge trademark, but the Wychwood gear is made from the same type material and is worn under your thermal suit. Nice and warm and not as expensive as the Sundridge gear, it's supposed to allow moisture from sweat to evaporate whilst still retaining the heat.

Ideal for those winter sessions when the cold starts to bite

I use three layers. Musto long johns and longsleeved high neck vest. www.johnnorris.co.uk usually have them at a discount. Then a thermal weatherproof fleece and cotton trousers (no jeans..denim takes too long to dry) Then a stormproof bib and brace and shorty top. The short top allows me to sit down without sitting on the back of the jacket. There are loads of these two piece suits for sale. Troutie shops like Fishtec are a good place to look. Feetwise I wear cotton socks, thermal socksover the top and then neophrene boots.

Nice thing about this lot is that if the weather warms up, you can take off the bits that you dont need and still stay both warm and dry. (The fleece is showerproof)

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Guest Brumagem Phil

My local army and navy store sold me a one piece quilted jobby for 40 quid last year.......REALLY nice n warm too and easy enough to keep clean (100% nylon)

A word of advice though, don't go falling in the river with one on 'cos you really will be in BIG trouble.

I have a sundridge minus 10 bib 'n' brace and jacket, its lovely and warm. I Got a minus 10 for really cold days, but too warm for mobile fishing. Cheshire fishing are doing the sundridge minus 10 for £99.99 THATS £70 off not bad.Cheshire Fishing

Rick J

Don't buy a one piece suit. If it's starts off very cold, you can't take the top off when the sun comes through.

Most of your bodyheat is lost through your feet and head. Moonboots are superb for keeping your feet warm, together with a fleecy hat, I don't think it really matters too much about the rest.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

I have both one and two piece suits. The two piece can get hot because of the double layer round my middle. So, on balance, I prefer a one piece suit for my mobile style of fishing, but John's point is 100% valid.

Sunridge - 10 2 pc does me for winter used it for three seasons, well worth the 99 quid its now at, above comments are fair as regards to getting too warm but i find, used with a fleece the pants are enough and then when it rains chuck the jacket on.

The only real problem i have found with the suit is the large number of pockets, it actually lead me to quit smoking as i could never find my lighter.