Kennet and Thames Flooding

arbocop

It's really bad. train into the City took nearly 1hr 30 mins this morning, normally 30 minutes. went past the Thames, Loddon etc. Thames looked to be rising, but kennet has gone down at least 5cm overnight. Loddon has also dropped.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I heard today that many in the North of the country (probably 1 guy but what the hell) said that if it where them the response would never had been so quick. QUICK??

Obviously somebody who still thinks that London’s streets are still paved in gold

:doh:

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

The Kennet in Reading has gone down 50mm or so but we are now pending another 40mm over the next few days. Eric Pickles has criticised the EA. I would have thought this was unwise, given that he axed the majority of planning rules that the local authorities could use to refuse planning applications. Local authorities had also written their development plans for the 5-10 year period defined by the planning system, effectively making them largely unenforceable overnight. At the same time, he recommended swingeing cuts to LA budgets, so they are ill equipped and underfunded to respond to emergencies. I quote him below;

'Planning is a quasi-judicial process: there needs to be a fair hearing and due process followed, and councils should follow their locally-agreed Local Plan and consider the other ‘material considerations’. The right of appeal is there for when that doesn’t happen.

Councils should be using their Local Plan to prevent development in flood-risk areas and/or ensure proper flood mitigation or flood prevention areas.'

Eric, you are just about treading water in this matter. Pickle describes the situation you have created. However, you have expertly done it in away that means you can blame every other agency.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

The problem with local planning is that it is rather insular and doesn't see the whole picture. If the upstream guys do nothing then the downstream guys are really bolting the gate after the horse has bolted. It needs a comprehensive review, and local authorities given the plan and the resources to complete it

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Been following a thread over on pistonheads, just caught up with the last 24 hours on there and things are not looking good for this week, it's looking likely for another major storm on Wednesday night followed by one to rival the big storm around christmas. Heavy rain also forecast tonight with a yellow warning in place from 3am. It's not looking like things will be improving any time soon

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Lower Thames conditions will get really silly if there is a lot more rain ,Walton on Thames the new bridge and surrounding area

1896874_10151910435025866_1186547627_n_z

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Unfortunately Steve around 50-70mm is forecast by Sunday for Reading

This could be biblical given the amount of water there already. When you think about the number of fish lost to the floods a few weeks back it's bloody worrying...

This could be biblical given the amount of water there already. When you think about the number of fish lost to the floods a few weeks back it's bloody worrying...

I don't think fish or wildlife in general are on anyone's radar at the moment. Think of the poor little rodents scurrying around looking for safe havens

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not