6lb2oz perch

JV44

Very true, Andrew, although the Thames is a very big river and confirmation that there are record perch in it is a bit like proof of bear poo in the woods. I don't suppose it would be that hard for some saddo to stalk the captor and find out where he fishes, though.

Very true, Andrew, although the Thames is a very big river and confirmation that there are record perch in it is a bit like proof of bear poo in the woods. I don't suppose it would be that hard for some saddo to stalk the captor and find out where he fishes, though.

I browsed it in the local Tescos while checking out our mention and was well impressed! yes there is the towel issue but all the other factors made it for me a "feel good" capture.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Great link, gozzer ... love the way it's been truncated into an 'arse-fish' :clap2:

Yup, it made me chuckle when I saw it. :D

I haven't seen the article yet, (I go to Morrisons library tomorrow), but from what I've heard the captor was using very basic old tackle. I like that, it has a romantic nostalgia about it. I wonder if he will be using the same gear when next he goes fishing? Or will he have some shiny new tackle, provided by the media or such. If so, will he enjoy his fishing more? I doubt it, especially on that particular water. I also wonder if he realises, or even cares, about the possible consequences of his actions?

I've never really understood the obsession with record fish. As I've got older, I've come to realise it has little to do with recording the size a fish can grow to, but more about ego, and some possible financial reward. Sadly, a sign of the times.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've seen it on bits of rivers near me Steve, where a little section (sometimes a stupidly small bit of water, i.e. 1 bend in the river!) gets a reputation for a certain species and is regularly targetted by these types of angler, and these are not record fish. The miles of equally good water either side never get fished. It's a weird mentality where people are prepared to travel to sit in a spot where someone once had a big fish, but not try to find fish themselves.

I remember seeing a guy fishing the upper ouse a few years ago on a bit that had such a reputation. He was hunkered down with 2 avon rods on rests, little mini pike drop-offs, and gently bouncing rod tips. Just for fun I asked what he was fishing for - 'whatever comes along', he said in a 'go away' tone. Funny, cos I could have sworn he was livebaiting for the well known big perch that everyone now knows are there, as they're in the comics every week :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Think one of the previous Perch record holders was a young lad who had one from a lake with big hook covered in a zillion maggots so again a bit of the anyone has the chance if you fish the right water which does strike a cord with many of us ,far more people fishing the lower thames things get seen and much harder to keep schtum than middle or upper sections so no doubt story of where will get out and it`s fairly well known which spot on the lower has a rep for big perch .

The bun fight for the going swims on upper and lower Benyons on the kennet at the start of the season can be volatile and a hundred other places as well I guess and all coz peeps convince themselves that if you are not in that swim you wont catch .

The lower Thames churns out big fish of all types but the rod hours down there are much higher ,there must be some giant stripey`s at the top end to with the crayfish to feast on to but far less pressure who knows what swims in her

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I know with some of the big barbel in the ouse the photo's were taken on purpose up to 100 yds from where they were caught. Was quite amusing watching people heading to swims we knew the barbel were'nt in.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Wasn't there a record perch caught from the Thames at Teddington about two years ago? It was rejected because the fish was caught from a no fishing stretch, and the 'lucky' captor was found to have no rod licence, so was prosecuted as well. Or did I imagine that?

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."