Been Asked To Dress A Shark "fly" On This Beast

Snatcher

PIC_0261.jpg

It is a "beast" mind. Any ideas where to start? Have started dressing marlin lures lately but the largest hook I went to was an 8/0. This mother is another step up. Weighed it at work this afternoon 35g :o . I will not be starting to dress it till Sunday morning and I envisage it will take a few days to complete as it will have to be built in stages.

I have a few ideas in mind but nothing definate as yet. Come on chaps fire some ideas to me :)

Not sure what the target sharks are but I think it will be fly gear :unsure: Now bearing in mind when the completed lure becomes wet we may be looking at approx 70g.Does anyone fancy fly casting that weight? I know that some guys on this forum tie custom built big game rods but I do not think one of the top rod-builders on our forum Stan Massey could build a fly rod to cast that weight!!!

If he could I would be inside the cabin as the missile was being whirled around the deck :o

I can envisage it being slowly trolled or jigged below the boat in the rubby dubby trail.When I finish it will post up a picture. Promise not to laugh too loudly mind as I have feelings ;)

Wish me well!

Edited by Snatcher

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

How about tying up a Torresian Imperial Pigeon ? These birds migrate low over the water from the Sunda Islands to mainland Australia and sometimes get snapped up big Spanish Mackerel. (see recent account of trip to Cape York).

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

intresting stuff be good to see wot u come up with!

Its a horrendously big hook even by big game standards and used on a fly rod it wont be 'cast' in the same way that a trout or salmon fly is cast. They are usually dropped back in front of a fish thats been brought to the back of a boat using a teaser. In other words, pretty much the same tactics as bait fishing except its done at a slower pace and the fish is brought nearer to the stern before being introduced to the fly. Dressing it as a giant popper makes sense, it makes a lot noise in the water and they come in all colours. Its a circle hook so you need to top dress it, that is to say all of the dressing material sits on the top of the shank leaving the hook gape as exposed as possible.

These are pike flies on circle hooks. Note that the dressing is virually all on top and the hook point is very exposed.

Circle hook pike flies

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

John,

Argylls post makes a lot of sense as far as the dressing goes. Other than that, s##t.

I could look out an old 130lb trolling blank but finding a Struble saltwater fly reel seat to fit an 80 wide could be a problem.

Good luck.

Thanks for the early feedback. Dave what wingspan should I use then :lol::lol::lol:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Oh dear!!! Did not mean to start the construction till Sunday am :unsure:

Had a large medicinal red wine and a few tubes and went into fly tying mode :o

I suppose its a bit like a crazed painter on tack with a blank canvas :o

Just one eye left to superglue on then a touch of epoxy when I sober up then finish the head off.

The beast will have to be called Snatchers Mr Miller Rainbow Warrior - I CLAIM THE PATENT :lol::lol::lol:

Oh dear when i sober up bet it looks like sh1t :unsure:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair