How long have you been fishing.

Guest Ferret1959

47 years, I can still remember my first rod. It was like Peter's, solid steel, but Im sure it had a moulded plastic handle with a little reel as part of the handle and plastic rod rings. I remember practising my casting action before threading the line and the rod part separated from the bit I was holding and ended up in the river. I think I had to wait for my next birthday to get a new rod with a proper reel, a pink Monarch I think it was.

My fishing career since has been similarly rewarding. Best catches to date have been a sheep, a combine harvester and my own ear, all on the backcast whilst fly fishing.

Hoping to have another go today if I'm allowed.

Unc F

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 years or maybe 58, not sure. My first rod was given to me by my Dad. He was given it by a bloke he worked with.

It was almost certainly a converted billiard cue!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

46 years but with gaps due to raging male hormones and then family building etc. Just rediscovered my first ever rod, solid fibre glass and also a rod I built from a kit when a teenager. It's a split cane Mk IV Avon rod. I still have the book 'Rod Building for Amateurs' by Dick Walker which guided me through it.

Di! Ecce hora. Uxor mea me necabit.

About 38 years. I started when I was three when my day would tie me to the bank in case I fell in. I still remember the first time I caught more than dad when a little and and a lobworm in the side accounted for four cracking perch and a perfectly lip hooked (green) dead chub.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest tigger
64 years

Bloo*y hell your a fossil and it seems most other AN members are antiques also!! :)

ONLY JOKEING!! :lol:;)

I was about 3yrs old when i used to go with my dad and i'm 21 now so that's 18yrs ;)

Tigger. :)

Edited by tigger

I've been fishing about 22ish years, since around the age of 12 or 13, When i was taken along by a school mate who had just started fishing himself! my first rod was a 7 foot solid glass argos "starter kit" and my first fish was a small rudd caught from Burgess Park lake, just off the old kent road in south london.

Mat

Mat

Guest rabbit

Funny this question should have ben asked right now, my Uncle Doug died on News Eve age 87. As my father was not interested in fishing it was he who inspired me to fish. He used to take me fishing occasionaly to the Bristol Avon at Freshford fishing for dace :)

My first recollecton off me 'fishing' was hand lining with a crab line for sea trout or salmon near my Grand parents Guest house near Bangor North Wales. c 1955 .....Silly old bugger