Viewing posts....

ayjay

Crud control measure that was just started today. Guest should be able to see topic titles but not be able to open them to read without joining. If that isn't exactly what is happing in your case, let us know.

Hang on Elton, does that mean that if I post a link to an interesting post or thread on AN, my friends and colleagues can no longer read it!!! :o

I do this all the time and must admit I really hate it if I visit a link which I then have to sign up to first before being able to view the details.

This is a really great site, hence me directing people, including many non anglers, here all the time. What does this restriction actually achieve apart from making life difficult please? It's been OK up to now, hasn't it?

Edited by Lid

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why has the flood control been altered?

We was having problems with certain members who took it upon themselves repeatedly post the same topic all over the forum, the flood control will hopefully prevent that happening.

Hang on Elton, does that mean that if I post a link to an interesting post or thread on AN, my friends and colleagues can no longer read it!!! :o

Yes thats correct.

This is a really great site, hence me directing people, including many non anglers, here all the time. What does this restriction actually achieve apart from making life difficult please? It's been OK up to now, hasn't it?

I`ll Let Elton answer that one. :D

It looks like they can see the topics, but they only see an error message and not the actual topic contents.

I'm not sure about that Si, the screenshot was taken in the topic, if I don't log on I don't get as far as individual topics, just the forum page that the topic is on.

I'm not bothered either way, just wasn't sure why I couldn't view topics without logging on.

Edited by ayjay

I get pi55ed having to wait for 20 seconds, 90 seconds is gonna drop a few members who post a lot me thinks. :(

Me thinks the same :( I open a lot of posts in tabs, its just quicker and easier for me.

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

Guest Ferret1959
We was having problems with certain members who took it upon themselves repeatedly post the same topic all over the forum, the flood control will hopefully prevent that happening.

So why penalise everyone over a few certain members?

Another thing. I find that I get automatically logged off AN after a relatively short time even when I do not switch my PC off. How do I prevent this please?

Edited by Lid

Lid,

You couldn't be further from the truth, I'm afraid. I've actually seriously considered shutting the forums down recently, and it's still an option.

Whilst 99% of you have been no problem whatsoever, the moderators and I have now had two months of relentless hassle from certain people and we're sick of it. Not only have a lot of good people left, but certain parts of the site have just been trashed and we're spending all our free time dealing with it. If you haven't noticed a lot of it, then maybe we're getting it right.

None of the changes were taken lightly and I'm sorry that they will affect all of you for the time being, but we need to have tighter control for a while and that's the way it has to be. Unfortunately, it's not open for discussion. It's a decision that has been made for the long term benefit of the site.

We want people here who want to be here, to get it back to the friendly site that it was/is and for us to come here as an 'escape' from our everyday life, too. Asking people to log in isn't, in my opinion, exactly a draconian measure.

If that happens, we'll take another look at things.

Again, I'm sorry for the invonvenience.

Tight lines,

Elton

Another thing. I find that I get automatically logged off AN after a relatively short time even when I do not switch my PC off. How do I prevent this please?

I get this all the time when I have ZoneAlarm running. It bugs the wossname off me.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Me thinks the same :( I open a lot of posts in tabs, its just quicker and easier for me.

If flood control is working as it should, you can open, read and close threads without noticing. You can also open as many threads at any one time as you please.

It is only if you post and then try to post again in less than 90 seconds that you will be stopped.

If something else is happening, please say exactly what so we can fix it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Ferret1959

I for one would hate to see this site closed down, for the last five years I don't think I have missed more than a couple of days.

The site has been a lifeline for me and kept me feeling well when times have been hard for me.

I have met friends real and cyber and would like to meet more.

It's a shame there are trouble makers who spoil things for those who have made AnglersNet part of thier lives.

Whatever it takes to get the place running smooth then I'll go with that and hope others follow.

I've just sent a link down to Peggy and she's been able to read it. Is that because she's a member and logged in?

Any joy about my request to be able to send links to more than one person at a time to avoid activating flood control?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net