Viewing posts....

ayjay

I have met friends real and cyber and would like to meet more. It's a shame there are trouble makers who spoil things for those who have made AnglersNet part of thier lives. Whatever it takes to get the place running smooth then I'll go with that and hope others follow.

I agree with Dave. I've only been on AN since October, and with the exception of a handful of individuals, have really enjoyed myself (even you Chesters). I joined up to appease Newt but find myself checking what's going on with everyone else. I've 'met" people I am really looking forward to meeting during our trip. Unfortunately, the few always manage to mess things up for the many. Isn't there a way to block people by ip address to keep them from coming back in under another user name? Then the jerks can be prevented from screwing up a good thing up for a lot of people.

I do see Newt spending more and more time having to check out threads that have been reported. AND I resent a lot of that time that he and I could be spending together. It's not fair on the mods to have to spend so many hours "policing" the forum. The obnoxious jerks will continue as long as everyone else plays to their hands. How about ignoring them - maybe they will go away if their threads don't cause a ruckus? Give everyone a hint as to what can be done to keep the forum going - please? :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give you some idea of what we've had to go through, since Christmas day we've had at least 52 reported posts, to say nothing of the ones we've caught before they could be reported. All from the sea fishing forum, and nearly all of them concerning the same group of people.

I'm sorry if the recent changes are proving an inconvenience, and I assure you the changes were not undertaken lightly. However, these forums will once again become a place where you can post without the fear of being castigated because of your opinions.

In the meantime, if you do see a post that you object to because it is obscene, libelous or just plain nasty, please use the 'Report' option at the bottom of that particular post :)

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Thanks for the clarification Elton. There is no doubt that you and your moderators do a fantastic job in both providing this site and keeping it clean, tidy and legal, etc.

It does seem a very great shame indeed that you have had to restrict access to signed up members only though. I can't quite see how this stops misuse, but it is your site and I am sure you know best.

As some one else said, can't you simply ban the offenders at the IP address level?

First time that I have posted for months (been watching whats been going on as a guest), and I have now had to log on to view posts.

I have never had a huge amount to add (loads more people know more than I do) but have recently felt like any post I made would have been like putting my head up in a firing range!

Yes I do fish in the sea and that is where the problem has been, hopefully things will calm down and not ruin things on AN, a site that I view daily and love.

Please do not hurt me I'm posting for the first time in months and am 6'8"

Jeff

Big Jeff, not working again

First time that I have posted for months (been watching whats been going on as a guest), and I have now had to log on to view posts.

I have never had a huge amount to add (loads more people know more than I do) but have recently felt like any post I made would have been like putting my head up in a firing range!

Yes I do fish in the sea and that is where the problem has been, hopefully things will calm down and not ruin things on AN, a site that I view daily and love.

Please do not hurt me I'm posting for the first time in months and am 6'8"

Jeff

6' 8" or 2' 8", you're the kind of poster I want here.

(I'm working on the assumption that that irritating Krankie woman was 2' 7", mind you) :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I for one would be very dissapointed if the site closed down. It's been a pleasure to me to see and reply to some posts on here. Yes there are going to be some posts that we will all find ofencive (spelling?) but they seem to be few and far between to me, but they have more than likely been caught by the mods or reported by another member before I get to read them.

I have recieved help with all sorts of things getting good advice etc from the other members. Newt has given all of us the advantage of having an expert with P.Cs to turn too in our hour of need with the stupid things. I have never met any of the other members face to face, but feel sure that I would be very pleased to do so.

The idea that JanV put forward using some-ones I.P. address to ban them seems reasonable to me as they only have to change their user name and away they go again. I don't know if would be possible or even practicle to do it that way but It would get rid of them.

Coming back to the having to log on every time that we come here has been like that for me for a while now every time that I leave the site infact, but the not being able to view threads not just the title (if that makes sense to you) has only just started to happen, but I don't mind if it keeps the idiots out and keeps the site the friendly one that it was and I hope will carry on being.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Quite often for quick visit here I just view posts as a guest and only log on if I've something to say(as do a lot of others I suspect), but today it won't let me view anything unless I log on.

Wossappennin?

Hi been away a few days and only just caught this thread. I'm new to "tinternet" I only got it because my daughter just gone to uni' and will save on phone bills. I found this site by accident, only joined because I'd read a few comments and thought "this lot sound fairly sane" and I like a bit of banter, so this is the site for me. It's a shame if other people like me are put off by not being able to read the comments, but if the mod's deem it nessessary then I'm with them. I didn't realise so much work was involved, so I'd like to say a big thanks to all concerned. You're doing a great job! :clap::clap::clap: (Damn, not got the hang of these smilies yet)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Elton - the Kranky women was 2' 7" (but strangely cute!!!)

Keep it up up and one day I shall master the parmeler knot (sorry Newt been drinking)

I do truly love the advice and tips that i have had from this site and shall once again catch anything that pulls my line ( oooooooo rrrrrrrrrrrr mrs)

Jeff

Big Jeff, not working again

I have now had two months of relentless hassle from certain people and we're sick of it. Not only have a lot of good people left, but certain parts of the site have just been trashed and we're spending all our free time dealing with it. If you haven't noticed a lot of it, then maybe we're getting it right.

Elton - why not just chuck those "certain people" out? ..and block any further application from their IP address - or is it not as simple as that ?

I "haven't noticed a lot of it" - probably because I avoid threads that have become taken over by the head-bangers. Nevertheless, I have "noticed some of it" - there has been a deterioration in the quality/interest level of some forums.

There was a time when most threads were worth reading, now only about half of them are.

I have made some good fishing mates through AN - so have you. Why should we put up with hassle?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Copied for another related thread:

Maybe it's because the mods have a life too and don't need to be spending all their time moderating a few people who turn a lot of threads into a self-righteous blood bath :wallbash: ??? AND they end up: :offtopic:

I don't want to appear selfish BUT I would like a whole lot more of my husband's time where currently too much of it is spent "keeping the kiddies in line" and trying to maintain a reasonable standard on this forum.