i miss coarse fishing

phil dean

:D to those of you who know me this may well sound like a stupid gripe but I never realised how much I would miss coarse fishing.

I used to live in Bingley next to a canal and a river, with dozens of coarse ponds around and other rivers just a short drive away if I felt the need for more. There were only a small handfull of trout fisheries and I loved to fish them and took the coarse fishing for granted.

Now I live next to a great salmon and sea trout river which I can fish as and when I wish, I have some of the country's best wild brown trout fishing to hand and a couple of stocked trout lakes, but the only coarse fishing for a good 10 miles is a lake where fishing is not allowed, and the prize if I take the risk, are perch from 2oz to 1.5lb.

What I'm missing is the whole "not knowing" magic.

Casting in a maggot/worm or piece of breadflake the float could dip under to a half oz roach or a 6lb carp. It was exciting not to know what was coming next. My highlights of last season included catching a 3oz chublet, why, because it was a coarse fish on the river near me, the forst I'd seen other than minnows, and because it wasn't a trout.

I can go coarse fishing, but work and home commitments are such that I struggle to justify the travel time to a decent water (about 30miles away) when I do have a few hours free.

For those of you who have it on your doorsteps and take it for granted, please remember to enjoy what you've got.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plenty of course fish in the rivers up there we ate some walking hadrians wall in the 70's ;)

i miss walking hadrians wall so you have the advantage :P roman walls are thin on the ground in surrey.

get a metal detector and fish for metal

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Where is "Nr Hadrians Wall" ?

The Tyne has a good head of coarse fish and there's a park pool that's fishable at Whitley Bay.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Phil

Whittle Dene is not to far away from you and is now an out and out coarse fishery you could always have a cast or two there.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Phil

I know just what you mean.

I live on top of some superb Salmon and Trout fishing and for the past 20 years have concentrated on fly fishing, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but this year I have become hooked on coarse fishing, to the point where I haven't cast a fly for probably 4 months.

We are not exactly blessed with coarse venues up here, apart from Pike and Perch, so I have to travel I have been learning the art all over again at the nearest thing we have to a commercial within driving distance (83 miles each way)

Tomorrow I am off to my nearest day ticket water (about 1.5 hours drive,) where I hope to catch a few roach and rudd.

I don't know what it is, maybe childhood memories, but there is just something about watching and waiting for that float to move :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The Tyne has a good head of coarse fish and there's a park pool that's fishable at Whitley Bay.

The Tyne's got some coarse fish, but they're pretty much all dace and not terrifically big ones at that. The problem is that they're spread out pretty thinly over miles of river - and that's river which is leased to a different game syndicate every few hundred yards! You hear about the odd decent chub every now and then and I once saw a pike decorating a bush on one particularly expensive salmon beat! But it's damn near impossible to actually target coarse fish on the Tyne.

Actually, the thing that's vexing me right now is the shortage of decent grayling water which allows float fishing. I'm a member of two clubs, both of which control rivers with plenty of grayling. One of those clubs is fly only and the other only allows bait fishing during the trout season, so as the grayling wake up you have to put your stickfloat and pin away for the winter!

I know I shouldn't really moan though. After all, as Phil says, the game fishing is spectacular and that's something which we do, I'm sure, take for granted.

Edited by yorkio

What I'm missing is the whole "not knowing" magic.

I understand exactly what you mean Phil.I love my trout fishing but its probably the method I enjoy more as you are quite right "what am I going to hook next" is certainly missing on most of the venues I fish.Not only is the choice of species severely limited but also the variation in size! Oh another 1 1/4lb Rainbow...........................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm glad I'm not the only one (for those who asked, I'm near haltwhistle, 50 miles from the east coast and about 40 from the west).

Then again, i was fishing yesterday on the dry fly and looked up to see a peregrine. Not giving too much location info for obvious reasons but it is magical up here, in a different way at times.

Tony, noted, and i've been told that there's a small pond in corbridge but it's still 20 miles each way and it aint exactly magical. It's the whole little escape near to hand. When I lived in Keighley there were a couple of oxbow lakes which benefitted from floodwater every couple of years. I could just bob to them in a morning before work or sneak off at lunch if the Mother in Law was visiting. They could contain anything from a few sticklebacks to a 10lb pike...it was the whole not knowing that I loved.

As I said, I shouldn't gripe because I have got some excellent game fishing to hand, but it may well be the childhood element of watching a float disappear that seems to be lost in game fishing.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

If your missing it give me a bell and we can sort something out.......

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Phil

I know just what you mean.

I live on top of some superb Salmon and Trout fishing and for the past 20 years have concentrated on fly fishing, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but this year I have become hooked on coarse fishing, to the point where I haven't cast a fly for probably 4 months.

We are not exactly blessed with coarse venues up here, apart from Pike and Perch, so I have to travel I have been learning the art all over again at the nearest thing we have to a commercial within driving distance (83 miles each way)

Tomorrow I am off to my nearest day ticket water (about 1.5 hours drive,) where I hope to catch a few roach and rudd.

I don't know what it is, maybe childhood memories, but there is just something about watching and waiting for that float to move :)

hi sportsman try this link http://scottishcarper.co.uk/forum/index.php

you might be surprised about the amount of carp fishing there is up here

one or two places not to far from you so I'm lead to believe

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif