To Flying Tench

Bob Bradford

Bob - As was posted before, if the hook penetrates the heart it will die. According to you you put a slammo down his gullet and if that does not work, you cut your line.

What happens (as often does!) if your fish is bleeding profusely? Apart from the bleeding, it looks quite normal. What would you do? Kill it with your priest? put it back in the water? (the cold water may stop the bleeding!)

I am afraid each case must be handled differently.

You say you are a matchman. So you would use 2 keepnets. How do you put your fish into them and, as you say you are experienced, how many times have you had a dead fish in your net at weigh-in?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OI OI

your right im not familier with the WHOLE story but from what i did read you castigated some poor sod because he didnt dispatch a fish properly or try to do more for the fish let's say, o.k. he may be wrong ( in your opinion ) but it's still one fish.

there are 5 pages to this thread and not one reply from f.t. i just hope you have'nt scared him of the fourum

with your bully boy ranting (i'll say it again) over ONE (1) fish dont know what else to say (proberbly nothing)

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

OI OI Merlino Bill, how can you honestly think this is the first time for Flying Tench? just because he raised the issue the other day , remember he has been fishing for quite some time, I hope he does post and has not been scared off, I really do, I have some good advice for him ,if he wants it.

Kleinboet, I totally agree each case must be handled differently, and one would hope an experienced angler would know what to do, THAT IS MY POINT in this whole saga.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Nurse Judy, I am a humble match angler

bob, humble is one thing you aren't

you ask whether or not i've ever fished a long roach pole, no i haven't. i mainly target chub and barbel, not sure how good a pole would be for them.

i do have one thing to thank you for though, i've received more PMs today than ever before, not bad for someone who is merely tolerated by the rest of the forum.

and before you ask again, no i do not want to go fishing with you, you think i'm making a mistake, the only mistake i made was stooping to your level in the first place and resonding to the nonsense you've been posting

Give it a rest Jeepster! this is the first time other posters have made a real effort to DEBATE this issue, please move over ,unless you can contribute positively.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

god you make me laugh, never in the history of internet forums has a man taken himself so seriously. all people are debating is whether you're a misguided fool or a total idiot

Comus, In my opinion a barbless hook is the best option to take for a number of reason's;

1, A barbless hook will get better penetration into a boney mouth like a Perch.

The advice from respected perch expert Steve Burke is that because perch have their vital organs close to their throat, penetration by a barbless hook, taken down deep, is likely to penetrate far deeper than a barbed hook, and prove fatal, whereas a barbed hook will not penetrate the area so easily or so deep.

For that reason he has banned the use of barbless hooks in the larger sizes on his lakes.

(I've done my own experiments with barbed and barbless trebles for pike fishing, pulling them through chamois leather and the results show that barbless hooks do indeed penetrate far more easily than barbed hooks. In the case of pike, fishing with barbless is an advantage in that there is unlikely to be the same problem with penetrating vital organs. However, I prefer to use flattened barbs, rather than barbless as this gives the best of worlds, easy penetration, a firm hook hold, easy unhooking (especially from out of me!) without the tendency for barbless hooks to slip and tear)

Bob, you'll find this debate on barbed versus barbless has been done to death on here, use the search facility and I'm sure that you'll learn some things of interest.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Merlino Bill - What do you come on to any forum for. To have some fun with your mates, brag a little about what you have caught AND GET SOME ADVICE!! You do NOT need an angry tirade (especially a cynical one!) from someone else on the forum.

So far we have had two threads locked and five pages on this one, with most of the members trying to tell this to one person who insists HE is right and we are all wrong!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

god you make me laugh, never in the history of internet forums has a man taken himself so seriously. all people are debating is whether you're a misguided fool or a total idiot

i'm feeling that my throne could fall with regards to both of those :( he's out chestered me even with my years of experience ,hail chesters2 i salute you :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson