Live baiting question?

Guest kingfisher

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kingfisher

So what we are saying it's ok to use cold blooded creatures but not frogs as live baits but best not talk about it unless a small amount of folk object?

Sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me.

Wind up or not surely we have a right to talk about the subject, after all no laws are written to say we are doing wrong........................is there?

I personaly have never seen pike take live birds or animals.I dont dispute the effectivness of surface lures but Im not that convinced that they are taken as birds animals but just out of aggression or in the thought that they are fish on the surface,whether the lure looks like a mouse or frog or what ever.

Budgie, I have seen ducks and coots taken several times.

One that springs to mind was on the calder. There were a few mallard near the far bank, when there was an all-mighty splash, and one duck disappeared backwards under the water. It resurfaced, only to be pulled back again, on the third attempt, it surfaced and shot about 3or 4 yards out into the river, then it started to sink, very slowly until just its head and the top of its back was visible. It was in the middle of the river, being carried by the current, until I lost sight of it. My brother was fishing about 100 yds downstream, came up about 5 mins later and said "You'll never guess what I've just seen, a sinking duck"!. I can only assume the pike had taken a chunk out of it, and so it couldn't swim.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

So what we are saying it's ok to use cold blooded creatures but not frogs as live baits but best not talk about it unless a small amount of folk object?

Sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me.

Wind up or not surely we have a right to talk about the subject, after all no laws are written to say we are doing wrong........................is there?

Wind-up or not, this is a really stupid view to be airing on a public forum. Virtually everyone in the country will object to this, whether they're anglers or non-anglers. This is the kind of thing that's sure to be misquoted.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I thought feeding live mice to snakes had been outlawed.

It has, feeding live vertebrates to snakes/lizards is against the law in the UK

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest kingfisher
are yuo some sort of idiot

Please explain that question.

Now I have learned feeding live vertebrates to snakes and lizards is against the law then I assume the same for fish.

My arowana used to love a mouse now and again.

So it looks like using a DEAD mouse for bait won't be a problem.

:)