Pike Fish For Britain

Elton

I have a vested interest, as it looks as though I will be serving on the next commitee. One of my personal goals is going to be to make an effort to recover the allegiance of some of our lost members, so I may well be hassling you and Peter in the near future. :D

Chris,

I wish you all the luck in the world!

I for one am pleased to know someone as passionate will be at the helm of PAC!

Colin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough, although I still recommend the PAC as an information source, I resigned this year as a member. One reason being the pike matches that are organised by PAC regions. Granted that they are organised for very deserving reasons, Macmillan Nurses, and by very, very capable people but I am not happy with the message that goes out, namely that pike matches have the support of the PAC.

I always thought the way to achieve changes of policy or whatever was from within??

Not from the outside!

I've seen this attitude [resign if things don't go the way you want] so often in various walks of life and it always baffles me?

I must admit to helping organise Pike Fly matches, so I guess that's my "Pike Crime" for the last few years.

Mind you I guess like Chris , I've put a few people right when it comes to handling and unhooking.

Perhaps I'll get a lighter sentence?

Colin

I too wish you luck Chris as it isnt an easy job.Just stay true and dont be tempted by the gravy train.

I hope you can persuade me but no matter how good your or anyone elses intentions are I dont think what I really want is achievable.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have just renewed the PAC ( I seem to end up paying my subs in March for some reason! ) even though I don't agree with livebaiting.

Can't say fairer than that :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Chris,

I wish you all the luck in the world!

I for one am pleased to know someone as passionate will be at the helm of PAC!

Colin

Thanks Colin, that's much appreciated. :)

Edited by slodger

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I too wish you luck Chris as it isnt an easy job.Just stay true and dont be tempted by the gravy train.

I hope you can persuade me but no matter how good your or anyone elses intentions are I dont think what I really want is achievable.

Thanks Budgie.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the 'Gravy train'?

What is it that you'd like to see that you feel is unachievable?

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I have just renewed the PAC ( I seem to end up paying my subs in March for some reason! ) even though I don't agree with livebaiting.

Can't say fairer than that :)

Den

Good on ya Den! I only wish a few more people could adopt that attitude.

As I understand it, subs are due in Sept, but another sweep is made in Mar to remind those people who haven't gotten around to renewing, or have forgotten. You've perhaps got onto that rosta at some point? I only found this out myself recently, as I nearly paid twice.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

"and you don't wanna do that" :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Chris, when Martin Gay stepped down from the PAC Committee he published his thoughts on pike fishing in the UK. It was some years ago, and it was a darn good read. I posted my lesser thoughts in Pike & Predators, just a few months ago, not such a good read. Its not so much the PAC that I now wish to distance myself from, but as Martin wrote, more my fellow pikers. Perhaps the PAC has been too successful. Martin contacted me over a posting on the P&P site, as did one or two other elder statesmen of the piking world, I am not the only one to be disallusioned with the present day piking world. No, it has nothing to do with Blithfield.

Chris, when Martin Gay stepped down from the PAC Committee he published his thoughts on pike fishing in the UK. It was some years ago, and it was a darn good read. I posted my lesser thoughts in Pike & Predators, just a few months ago, not such a good read. Its not so much the PAC that I now wish to distance myself from, but as Martin wrote, more my fellow pikers. Perhaps the PAC has been too successful. Martin contacted me over a posting on the P&P site, as did one or two other elder statesmen of the piking world, I am not the only one to be disallusioned with the present day piking world. No, it has nothing to do with Blithfield.

pete,

i think its very sad that someone of your experience and passion has deemed it neccessary to leave the ranks of the PAC, but i have to say i am baffled as to what the problem is. i read your piece in the P and P and whilst i agreed with parts i also disagree with a lot of it too.

i am sure we would all love to go back to the days of yore when you rarely saw another pike angler and all the fish were twenties, but its just not going to happen. the genie of pike fishing is out of the bottle and its only going to stay that way.

however where the PAC comes into it is in promooting conservation and education and trying to make the transition as painless on the pike population as is possible. the world is changeing, leisure time is increasing, and a fantastic sport like ours is always going to be attractive to a lot of people. like it or not, if we wish to ensure sport for our future generations then we need people like yourself to get behind the PAC, as colin pointed out you cant change owt from the outsiide of the club, instead why not write your ideas for the future to the new secretary, he reads this forum, and posts on here from time to time, in fact you might even have bumped into him once. i know that you will be listened too!!

as for the issue of pike matches, not my cup of tea either. however in the case of the marie curie cup i think the PAC and RO's for the region were put in a no win situation. the match was going to take place whether or not the PAC were involved. if the club didnt get involved on at least a regional level, it was going to attract the wrong headlines for doing nothing, when it does arrange to provide responsible stewards its slammed for promoting pike matches, its dammed if it does, or dammed if it doesnt. from a purely personal point of view i am sad that the match is held, but pleased that if it has to happen, then at least there are those on hand that can help with any accidents that may occurr. , though i would prefer it if it was done in a low key manner, rather than being promoted through the magazine.

in may the committee will be changing, and it will be a new broom and a new type of committee in that it will no longer be regionalised, but made up from those with a mission to take the club forward into a changing sport.

i hope you will re consider helping them.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk