FAIRWAY PIKE

VladimirR

Predators also often have strong negative feedback in their population structure from cannibalism, short lives and fast growth. Hence the failure of river keepers in the past to eradicate them!

Don't have a problem myself with this video, any more than when I knock a trout for the table or snap the necks of a few mackies. All it needed was a mod note pointing out that this is acceptable practice elsewhere in the world, and although in the UK we are allowed (as we should be) to take a small number of freshwater fish for personal consumption, C&R is expected and should be the norm. That's the responsibilities of this site taken care of. I find it interesting to see fishing elsewhere in the world, outside of the insular and self-regarding world of UK "coarse" angling.

• Like 4

My local river is smashed! In the summer the burnt grass patches, Eastern European tackle wrappers and general rubbish everywhere are the general giveaways. Now I have no problem with taking the odd fish for the pot but the key word to use here is sustainable....in big river systems and lakes over in the EU it's not a problem. Said smashed local rivers are small without a big head of predators and I've seen the pike fishing in particular decline massively over the last few years, nothing else to do now but to go elsewhere :(

It was reasonably productive John, it wasn't uncommon to go out and have 3/4 good size doubles in a day but last year you'd be lucky to have a double in weeks. I'm not blaming it all on that though as there are plenty of contributing factors, it is just one of them. Funnily enough I have fished the same river for chub and roach and it's never been better...loads of good sized fish so maybe the floods has had a positive effect...who knows.

Is the water bursting with prey fish then Neil? Or has something taken over from the pike?

John.