Help With Baitrunner

FisherManDan50

Unfortunately you followers of fashion missed out (as i did )on the ultimate carp reel of the 60 and 70's ,i only realised after owning my first intrepid elite (they were the highest spec reel of their time so expensive) that they had a 3 way anti reverse unlike all the rest

Anti reverse on

No anti reverse

And no anti reverse but with a click function

I did like most use mitchell 410's for carping they were very well made (as the elite was) but the paint job was better and ofcourse fashionable at the time

So not only did it churn it churned with a noise and because it had a click there was more resistance to it churning by itself in the wind or the handle was up instead of down ,you could say it was almost the first bait runner .

I used the penny trick mostly but i found if you loosened the spool it worked better ,all you had to do though was hold the damn thing on striking or you were in deep doodoo ,or tighten it down before you struck then readjust it with the fish on

Before i could afford real baitrunners i had a pair of mitchells with twin drag on the rear one was left at what you wanted but the other was a lever ,one way loosened the drag right off so the spool rotated pretty easily and pushing it the other way took it to the pre set tension ,forget what they were but probably up in the loft somewhere

Never owned a shimano bait runner being always on a budget i bought a pair of daiwa bf (or br) something or others which if i still could go carping i would still use ,i bought a pair of daiwa big pit somethings (posh name for sea reels) but they have never been used by me they were though second hand

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I never bought an Intrepid Chesters, I had one given, but can't remember the model. For a long time I used only a centre pin for all my fishing, and only bought a fixed spool when I started match fishing seriously. For the short time I was into carp fishing, I first used the 'coin', or in my case washer, method, but soon changed to using the elastic band. I could alter the force needed to pull the line out by adding another elastic band, or tightening up the one I had on. I used it first with the silver paper dragging on the floor, then progressed to silver paper as a 'monkey climber'. As long as I preset the drag, (slightly slack), all I did was turn the handle, strike, and apply extra pressure with my finger if needed.

I have to add that I was sat by my rod all the time, not sleeping several yards away. If I found myself nodding off, usually just before dawn, a cup of black coffee and a cig, was usually enough to keep me awake. If not, I reeled in and slept. I once did fall asleep after doing a long days work, and then fishing all night. Don't know how long I slept, but I woke up to find that about 20 or 30 yds of line had been pulled off, and the fish was stuck in a snag, eventually I had to pull for a break.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I had a Black Prince, an Elite and a Super Twin but none compared to my Mitchell 300! But of course there was a BIG difference in price. A month of paper round money brought a Black Prince but the 300 took all your birthday money and some rather dubious trout catching and selling operations! ;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I had a Black Prince, an Elite and a Super Twin but none compared to my Mitchell 300! But of course there was a BIG difference in price. A month of paper round money brought a Black Prince but the 300 took all your birthday money and some rather dubious trout catching and selling operations! ;)

I've got three Intrepids somewhere, I found them in a bag in the garage when I moved here, they're still out there somewhere, (it's almost the best place for them). :D

• Like 1

The Black Prince were certainly gash Ajay but often all we could afford! Mad thing was there were several other similar priced alternatives that were far better from bot Anon Shaw and Winfield! Even back then I suppose the power of marketing existed! and brand names ruled!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've still got my Intrepid Continental, but it's totally worn out and unusable. Never had any problems with it but moved to Mitchells when I got a bit more money

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

All,

We have a big difference so I haven't much to say in this thread.

Have you guys browsed this site? http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/

Phone

Try this

http://werpmolens.nl/

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've still got my Intrepid Continental, but it's totally worn out and unusable. Never had any problems with it but moved to Mitchells when I got a bit more money

My favourite intrepid ,been emailing the designer for years ,not favourite because its good on the bank but its dammed pretty and green although the ambidextrous one is black .

• Like 1