Richard Seager/ Sea Angler Magazine

sam-cox

How about proposing a local by law to protect those spawning fish? SFC's can definately create by laws, and anyone can propose it. You have probably gone down this route already, if so, what have your SFC said to the suggestion?

The best they came up with was a gill net ban within a 0.5Nm radius of the reef which is next to useless as the fish all move off the pinnacle when the tide slackens off. SFC also tell me that this ban is under review as they have had complaints even though the reef is really difficult to use these nets and subject to appeal at privy council.

I will be pushing for more for next season, most of the Bass will have moved on by now, it's getting a bit late in the season. I am working on getting some info together with s stronger argument but they keep referring to some study by a uk "expert" who said there was no problem as this mark was such a small percentage of the UK/Channel biomass. What about the local biomass is all I can say...

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this 'expert' know for certain that bass that have been spawned in the Western Approaches of the English Channel feed into our local system?

The bass spawned at a particular site like 'the mark' return year after year once adult size. Once they've all been caught - that will be it! Remember the French Bass Marks - exactly the same circumstances - found by watching diving gannets - a bass 'bonanza' ensued, and now there is only a handful of bass caught on the mark each year!

This 'expert's theory of allowing the slaughter to continue 'because it's a small percentage of Channel biomass' is like saying 'wipe out that small forest because there's a much bigger one over there' - it doesn't really make sense.

Edited by AnglerTom

When that shoal is gone, they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, etc.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

When that shoal is gone, they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, then when that one's gone they'll look for another one to hammer, etc.

And when thats gone they will blame anglers for taking it off the wrecks.

www.sea-otter2.co.uk

Probably whitby most consistant charterboat.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Bringing this old thread back. I had need to speak to the man himself after the Guernsey rumour mill got up to some mischeif...

Richard says that he is a commercial fisherman. He does catch and sell Bass. I didn't ask about those two Bass featured in the mag. He said that he felt since he caught these two Bass on rod and line, they were worth a mention in the angling press.

He said that he does not take charters out to this Bass fishery in question but does take friends who then fish with him while out there.

He has to make a living during the "off season" when the charter business is dead and as such uses his commercial licence.

He is doing nothing illegal whatsoever. Nothing is undersize and Landing Limits are adhered to. He said (as anyone would) that he will catch and sell fish legally up to the limits of the laws to pay his mortgage. I can't and won't argue with that.

He felt that trawlers were more to blame than rod and line fishermen and that if the fishery was restricted to rod and line only it wold never be fished out. Trawlermen (local, UK, French, you name it and they have been there) are the ones doing the most damage and apparently the trawls are taking more fish in the smaller sizes rather than just the biggies reported.

The whole problem is the law and the lack of protection for spawning bass in Guernsey. We're working on that from several directions/viewpoints.

Andy

I understood from the outset that Richard Seager is not breaking any laws, my persnol veiws are 1 that commercially caught fish, even fish caught on rod and line morally should not be printed in the angling press, and 2 that these breeding bass should be left alone.

I understand that Richard has to pay his morgage, I used to work on a commercial fishing boat myself and it can be very hard to scratch a living. However I feel it very short sited to catch these bass while they are breeding.

Thanks for the up-date Andy!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I understood from the outset that Richard Seager is not breaking any laws, my persnol veiws are 1 that commercially caught fish, even fish caught on rod and line morally should not be printed in the angling press, and 2 that these breeding bass should be left alone.

I understand that Richard has to pay his morgage, I used to work on a commercial fishing boat myself and it can be very hard to scratch a living. However I feel it very short sited to catch these bass while they are breeding.

Thanks for the up-date Andy!

His view on the breeding thing was that all year round something is breeding and while it isn't illegal people will do it. Most of the Turbot coming up on the banks round here are full of roe but that doesn't stop everyone taking their fill.

I would like to see close seasons for certain species during their known breeding times in the relevant SFC jurisdiction and i'm sure many others will. Most people think that's OK but is there a problem of other species suffering because of that?

I would like to see close seasons for certain species during their known breeding times in the relevant SFC jurisdiction and i'm sure many others will. Most people think that's OK but is there a problem of other species suffering because of that?

:clap2: I think the majority of sensible anglers and even some commercials would go along with that, providing it was strictly enforced. Nobody would go along with it though if they thought others were taking advantage and getting away with it. :clap2:

Closed seasons on breeding fish does happen on a tinyscale here. The herring fishing stops on the 1st of March I think.

Enforcement is the key, anyone found fishing an area whear fish are breeding should be shot or hung at dawn!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!