Older Generation 4x4's

Elton

One other thing that I'll need at times is for seats that fold down. Like today, I spent the late afternoon in a barn and filled the van with stock. To make the round trip worthwhile, I need to be able to fit a lot in.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan Terrano II for me, loads of room, fold down seats and very relliable.Pulls my warrior165 all over the country no trouble.If retrieving from a beach its best to fit "dirt tyres" as road tyres can still slip in 4wheel drive,does make motorway driving noisy tho.

Seems I am having to dissagree with everybody else on this issue Elton but I stand by my Guns on the Landrover.

I appreciate that you have to be careful and get some serious help in chosing the right one but the advantages of No Tax and cheap insurance pay off when you are running an 'occasional' runabout.

They are not as comfortable as a newer Jap model but you arn't going to be in it all day. Having said that I have driven one from the North Eastern Corner of Denmark to Chichester only stopping for the ferry and refuelling. Towing a trailer with Two motorcycles plus gear. and with 5 passengers.

"Had to tow out a disco with mine, " Is a claim you will often hear usually the towing vehicle has got better traction due to strategic use of a tow rope.

Off roading is a skill you aquire with practice and training just like anything else. I only ever saw one 3/4 FFR bogged down, we tried to pull it out with another and that got stuck. So we tried using a MK4 Bedford (4 tonner four wheel drive) and that too got stuck. In the end it took an 18 wheel all wheel drive armoured recovery vehicle to get them clear so I don't feel that a L200 would have fared any better.

If you have the money to make the original purchase and insurance fuel etc not to mention spares, (my alternator went on my shogun out of warranty and it was £400!) The go for one of those. Like everybody says the new Jap 4x4's are brilliant towing over long journeys listening to your CD with the air-con on.

There is no person here who can effectively argue that Japanese 4x4's are better than Landrovers, it is a matter of perspective and money. If you have the money then THIS makes my point quite elloquently. There is no way the Jap's can produce something to take that on

Edited by Huge_Vitae

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Thing to remember mate is that most of the time the most important thing you get with a 4 x 4 is ground clearance. Many two wheel drive vehicles would get to where you want to go if they had that. However, a lot of the yuppie 4 x 4s don't have ground clearance and so they high centre almost as soon as you get them off the road. Also many of them are fitted with yuppie type low profile tyres - they look great, but reducing tire pressure doesn't give you a much bigger footprint so it's not much help.

The choice between vehicles often depends on the terrain in which you will be using it. Some are best in slippery mud, others are better in soft sand. Personally I have a Nissan Patrol which allows me to tow a boat across a sandy beach, launch it and recover it at the end of the day. Ideal for me, but perhaps not for others.

Here is my Patrol.

recoveringboat7zg.jpg

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

And here is the best 4 x 4 I have ever come across in soft sand. It is a Chevvy Blazer auto transmission

dunes19pg.jpg

We weren't bogged, but there are wind scours in those dunes and there can be a 50 foot sheer drop the other side of a rdige like that, so you always walk through doubtful country.

Sorry about the file size. Perhaps Newt would be kind enough to reduce it?

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Seems I am having to dissagree with everybody else on this issue Elton but I stand by my Guns on the Landrover.

As far as I am concerned you are spot on m8. When it comes to getting seriously muddy then only a land rover will do.

Ground clearance is important, but so are approach, breakover or ramp angle and departure angle. Most Jap manufacturers don't even have them in the specs sheets.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Some are best in slippery mud, others are better in soft sand.

A land rover will go wherever you want if you have the correct tyres for the job. I thought you'ld have a Perentie 6x6 mate!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

One other thing that I'll need at times is for seats that fold down. Like today, I spent the late afternoon in a barn and filled the van with stock. To make the round trip worthwhile, I need to be able to fit a lot in.
Folding seats might be handy at times but I would not let the lack of them be a deal killer.

5X9utility.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Jan V

What kind of stock? Cows, sheep, goats, horses, etc? :rolleyes: