Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

Slodger what has;

"In other words I was hilighting the very real concern some anglers have about the notion of combining fishing with gambling"

Got to do with killing specimen fish for the table?

You and several others constantly (despite your limp denials) have it in for match anglers, and you use every opportunity to stick the boot in, well I have got news for you ....MATCH ANGLERS DO NOT KILL FISH FOR THE POT....and that is what this thread is all about, why don't you start another topic entitled;

I HATE AND DETEST MATCH ANGLERS, DO YOU?

I reckon you could be on a winner there mate, at least 200 replies guaranteed. :rtfm:

That post sounds awfully like you're running out of coherent arguments to counter the points made Bob. The only relevance my observations on match angling have are to point out that you are not the only person with a gripe about another anglers preferred habits. For every person that detests the idea of somebody taking a fish home to eat, there are equal, or probably greater numbers that detest match angling as a practise. I'm not one of them, despite your determination to make it appear so, but I can see why other anglers might feel that way, just as I can see why you detest fishing for the pot. The point is quite simply that yours is not the only viewpoint, in fact I'm certain it's not even the majority viewpoint, so why should you expect everyone else to comply?

Let me try and put it as simply as I can. Some people don't like fishing for the pot. Some people don't like match fishing. Would you therefore be happy to see both facets of angling abolished?

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really find it amazing that we are even discussing the eating of our course fish, these guys are joking really arnt they?

No, & I for one am grateful they are discussing it. There is a great minefield of ethics out there which thankfully we are mostly on the right side of.

But there is a pitfall waiting for us & this is it. Is it ethical for us to capture a living creature taking it out of its natural element for fun? or is it more ethical to do the same thing & utilise the creature as food?

Now as far as I'm concerned, its more ethical to use the creature as food, trouble is the antis believe the same thing. If we maintain the right to take the odd fish for the pot, then it maintains our moral highground thus denying the antis the chance to chip away at our defences even further.

I know its not black & white, & the majority of natural waters couldn't stand the extra predation due to our numbers, but where sustainable we must protect that right to take a fish to eat.

Please be careful what you fight for, this really could come back to bite us in the future.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Guest NickInTheNorth
By ukunwolf.

Whats that, Scotch mist NickintheNorth?

well it's certainly not a quotefrom this thread whatever else it may be.

"Its a sad day when one realises that the majority of vocal posters on a forum are advertising the killing of fine coarse fish and many of those viewing that disagree, haven't got the balls to mix it up a bit..."

LOL You aint a member of the Tory cabinet are you?

I don't suppose it could be that the reason your view is in the minority.... is because your view is in the minority? :)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

By ukunwolf.

Whats that, Scotch mist NickintheNorth?

Its a sad day when one realises that the majority of vocal posters on a forum are advertising the killing of fine coarse fish and many of those viewing that disagree, haven't got the balls to mix it up a bit.

I don't enter a debate as important as this to exchage pleasantries with those irresponsible enough to promote the topic, I come on here to add a little balance and hopefully sway the younger generation of anglers viewing that if we all followed their poor example we'd be screwed.

What would be the result if ALL coarse anglers accepted that 'keeping a few' is ok? and many of them found perch for instance tasted fantastic. I'm just glad for once that the majority on here represents the minority out there.

Used livebaits do live if they have been looked after, a friend of mine had 3 swiped from his livebait bucket only to find them in a tank at his girlfriends house. She still has them all, complete with small scars to the upper lips.

Balance?????

What would be the result if ALL anglers decided to kill a dozen fish for livebait every time they went fishing?

BTW please dont give me the "lightly lip hooked and flicked out underarm" routine when on the sea forum you advocate nicking the hook through the backbone so they will withstand hard casting and last longer.

Personally, I don't mind if you go livebaiting, thats between you and your conscience, me, I don't want to. If you don't want to eat fish, that's fine by me too, but you won't stop me <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest rabbit
"Its a sad day when one realises that the majority of vocal posters on a forum are advertising the killing of fine coarse fish and many of those viewing that disagree, haven't got the balls to mix it up a bit..."

LOL You aint a member of the Tory cabinet are you?

I don't suppose it could be that the reason your view is in the minority.... is because your view is in the minority? :)

No its not.... virtually every angler in this country would never advocate eating coarse fish. I will stop fishing tomorrow err June 16th if more than 10% admitted to eating their catch. Slodger, Sportsman Gozzer or whoever else its you that are very much in the minority. With all the fuss about the supposed threat from Eastern European poaching and the feelings that has caused within the angling community, how can you justify the claim that Sharkbyte, myself and others are the minority?

You cannot be serious!!! Can you??

Course fish ain't vermin, squirrels are however, & you really should try a plump nut filled tree rat come autumn - they're delicious! ;)

but hedghogs on the otherhand don't have much meat on them, taste lousy and anyway they're protected.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

No its not.... virtually every angler in this country would never advocate eating coarse fish. I will stop fishing tomorrow err June 16th if more than 10% admitted to eating their catch. Slodger, Sportsman Gozzer or whoever else its you that are very much in the minority. With all the fuss about the supposed threat from Eastern European poaching and the feelings that has caused within the angling community, how can you justify the claim that Sharkbyte, myself and others are the minority?

You cannot be serious!!! Can you??

Tell me something Rabbit, man to man, conservationist to conservationist, how do you justify yanking a fish out of its natural environment by a hook in the gob, just so that you can "ha'e a wee look at it" as my grandfather would have said?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Once upon a time it was s-o-o-o much easier.

"Like" when, thirty or so years ago, though still a mad-keen, caring coarse-fisher, I gamefished full-time for a 7-month-long season and caught 483 sea-trout and 83 salmon - and killed the ruddy lot!

And yet, on returning to my Southern English waters, I fished roach, chub, dace, perch and pike, and back they all went (bar the odd, BV-style, "One for Patsy" perch jobbie). No problem, for me or the fish, there were plenty more from where they came from ... or so I thought.

But that was THEN, and this is NOW: the past is indeed another country. I get ALL of my fish for the table from a retailer nowadays. PUT EM BACK (the cormorants don't).

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

That post sounds awfully like you're running out of coherent arguments to counter the points made Bob. The only relevance my observations on match angling have are to point out that you are not the only person with a gripe about another anglers preferred habits. For every person that detests the idea of somebody taking a fish home to eat, there are equal, or probably greater numbers that detest match angling as a practise. I'm not one of them, despite your determination to make it appear so, but I can see why other anglers might feel that way, just as I can see why you detest fishing for the pot. The point is quite simply that yours is not the only viewpoint, in fact I'm certain it's not even the majority viewpoint, so why should you expect everyone else to comply?

Let me try and put it as simply as I can. Some people don't like fishing for the pot. Some people don't like match fishing. Would you therefore be happy to see both facets of angling abolished?

Don't be so patronising Slodger "let me put it as simply etc" and where have I stated "I Detest anglers taking one for the pot"? I HAVE stated that I catch fish for pleasure and admit to exploiting them to my own ends, I advocate returning all fish , this is based on selfish motives also, I want more fish in our rivers ..not less, so I can catch them! my motives are selfish, but they are nowhere near the selfishness of those that catch ,kill and eat them!! to kill a fish deliberately is to deny another angler the pleasure of catching it in the future, and any offspring it may produce, that is what I am about, so forget your fanciful theory's and untruths about match anglers, we are, by and large, fish catching machines for pleasure, not mushy ,sentimental amateurs playing God.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]