Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

I hope this thread is not going to end up like other interesting threads that decay into personal abuse and name calling.

I fish catch and release with most freshwater fish with the exception of Zander which, despite what other anglers say, the EA have said NOT to return to the water.

Growing up is South Africa, where it was commonplace to eat Catfish (called Barbell there) which tastes rather nice.

I am not a big fish eater, and there is no freshwater fish (including Trout and Salmon!) that I truly fancy eating, so any fish I catch will automatically be returned, PROVIDED IT IS IN A FIT STATE TO DO SO!

I have spent time trying to repair a torn mouth of a three quarter pound Carp which someone had struck as if it were 50lb.

But, if someone wanted a specific fish for their table, and it was not a regular occurrence, why not?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can see this is a very strait forward issue. There is no moral reason not to take coarse fish to eat, there may however be a practicle issue. If the taking of fish is sustainable, as it may be in little fished Highland loch or private under fished pond then there is no reason not to. If we are talking about a highly pressurised venue, for instance the Thames, then taking fish will not be sustainable and should be avoided.

The only complication with this that I can see is where a fish that has a particular value for Angling is also part of a sustainable catch. Maybe a large pike from say Loch Lomond where the population might be able to get by without a particular good fish but it lessens the chance of a memorable capture for another angler.

Edited by A Worm OOE

In light of the neandethal comments made on this thread I for one would never share the location of a fishing mark again on here.

I am horrified to suddenly realise that I have spent so much time conversing with just the sort of people I see and despise when on the riverbank. Please someone tell me there is a silent majority on here that think killing 2lb plus Perch for instance is a crime. I'd love to hear Steve Burkes thoughts.

If the percentage of all those in favour of removing coarse fish for dinner on here was reflected accross fresh water angling we'd be ****'ed.

Forget the Polish and other immigrants, Mr Hayes, Keith Arthur et al should be looking much closer to home.

"Thats right Slodger.. ...match anglers practice catch and release so that they may catch their quarry again,and again and again... that makes perfect sense to a competition angler, catch and kill does not, I make no secret of the fact I fish for sport and not food and never have!! so what is your point?"

My point is very simple Bob. I think you should stop plying us with disgenuine claims that, unlike a catch-to-eat angler, you only have a fish's conservation in mind. It's arrant hypocrisy. More fish are damaged by match anglers than are damaged by pleasure anglers, to my mind that's a simple and irrefutable fact. Most of us don't have a problem with the associated risks of match angling, why should you have a problem with a sensible angler taking the odd fish for the pot? Completely legally I might add.

You seem incapable of seeing that your view is no different to that of an anti, in as much as you wish to curtail someone else's pleasure. In fact, IMO, your view is markedly less worthy than that of an anti, because you still wish to exploit fish to your own ends, while at the same time not wanting someone else to do the self same thing.

There's an absolute pile of you know what being talked about the implications to our fish stocks, of a few anglers, taking a few fish for the table. The implications are considerably less than those that are put on those stocks by general angling, because there are thousands more anglers practising C-A-R than there are anglers who enjoy the odd coarse fish for the table. And I'm sure you're aware in reality that no angler in their right mind would be likely to advocate the killing of either 20lb pike or two pound roach, or any other specimen sized fish purely for the table.

I've said before, and I'll repeat, I do not eat coarse fish myself. However, I don't flyfish for salmon either, yet I'd still defend another anglers right to. Your message seems loud and clear to me Bob:

"Don't do as I do, do as I say!"

ps You will never get any personal abuse from me, but you will get my twopennerth if I disagree with you. :D

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

There's an absolute pile of you know what being talked about the implications to our fish stocks, of a few anglers, taking a few fish for the table.

So what limits the taking of stock to a few anglers. The disrespect, the shame, being blackballed by fellow club members?

At least the younger generation of anglers certainly seem to set a better example than some of the dinosaurs that currently advertise their opinions up and down the bank. There's hope for the future.

Perch live for around 16 years and top out in weight at around 5.11lb in the Uk. To take a 2lb perch home for tea would be taking a fine breeding fish thats eggs would be virile and fry would be strong.

I am amazed that anybody still eats course fish, as Ive been told they tast bad.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

So what limits the taking of stock to a few anglers. The disrespect, the shame, being blackballed by fellow club members?

If I had to hazard a guess?? I'd say it's probably because most people think coarse fish taste like sh1te....... :D

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I take the occasional fish to eat, both freshwater and sea. As long as what I was doing was within the rules of the particular fishery I would have absolutely no problem with dispatching it humanely in front of anyone.

I also am amazed at the hypocrisy of some posters who rant about conservation and and putting the welfare of the fish above all else. Surely if you feel that strongly you would just stop fishing, or am I missing something?

When I watch the level of fish handling demonstrated on the bank and on TV by so called experts I am convinced that many fish swim away to die later, unseen by the self satisfied angler. When I fish catch and release, which is the vast majority of the time, I don't land or handle the fish, they are unhooked in the water (ketchum release tool and barbless hooks) why the preoccupation with weighing and photographing every little fish that's caught at what is self evidently a major risk to the welfare of the fish.

Just so you can say mine was 2ozs bigger than yours? Please don't preach to me about fish welfare :angry:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Perch live for around 16 years and top out in weight at around 5.11lb in the Uk. To take a 2lb perch home for tea would be taking a fine breeding fish thats eggs would be virile and fry would be strong.

I am amazed that anybody still eats course fish, as Ive been told they tast bad.

I doubt many people would take perch of that size Sam. However are you saying that you don't eat fish of any kind? Because I can assure you, Captain Birdseye doesn't rifle through his trawlers nets to make sure none of the cod are too big for eating before he whacks them into his fishfingers.

If anyone eats commercially caught fish of any kind, how on earth dare they comment about those who enjoy the odd perch or pike on this thread? Thankfully I think it's only a small minded minority.

Edited by slodger

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

My original point was that (as Fred J said) we must reserve the right to take one for the pot. If we don't then we start to lose any moral justification for angling in the first place.

I only take trout and the occasional Grayling from freshwater but legally and ethically can take others if I choose.

On the subject of conservation....I would suggest that far too many barbel die after release during the summer months (more so if they have been weighed and photographed) than we could imagine. If we are really serious about fish conservation, perhaps we should stop fishing all together.

As an aside...when I regularly used to fish matches on the Trent many years ago there were always loads of dead fish to be found after the weigh in.

Maybe eating fish is better for overall stocks than matchfishing or the use of Keepnets.