Help needed

revvie

Ive been thinking of returning to coarse fishing as my main hobby,i last took up rod and line over 30 years ago now.My main reason for wanting to return is that im stuck at home all day with severe back pain and have been advised to get out and about by my doc.

Having been given a few mags to read by a friend,i obviously have several questions.

1.I see all Reels seem to have been designed for left handed people,or is it just me?

2.with money being rather tight atm,what sort of equipment should i get?i dont want anything fancy just something that gets the job done.

I live in the warwickshire area,close to nuneaton.I would really appreciate any advice that could be given as im kinda at a loss as what to do next.

Many thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Revvie, welcome to AnglersNet :)

Many reels are ambidexdrous, you just have to move the handle over from one side to the other. As for money being a bit tight, most tackle shops will sell second-hand gear, plus there's regular cheap offers in the angling press that are well worth considering. Normally I wouldn't advise buying off the internet, I prefer to feel how a rod handles before I hand over my money but you can get some bargains off eBay....

Can't help you with places to fish, too far south for me :(

Someone will be along soon who can help you though ;)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Ive been thinking of returning to coarse fishing as my main hobby,i last took up rod and line over 30 years ago now.My main reason for wanting to return is that im stuck at home all day with severe back pain and have been advised to get out and about by my doc.

Having been given a few mags to read by a friend,i obviously have several questions.

1.I see all Reels seem to have been designed for left handed people,or is it just me?

2.with money being rather tight atm,what sort of equipment should i get?i dont want anything fancy just something that gets the job done.

I live in the warwickshire area,close to nuneaton.I would really appreciate any advice that could be given as im kinda at a loss as what to do next.

Many thanks

Welcome to AN revvie, you've got a v too many if your paying homage to our old Leeds United manager ;)

Sorry I can't help you with your location, but someone on here will be along that can.

You will find that most reels are designed for right handed anglers, in that you hold the rod in your right hand and operate the reel with your left.

As for tackle, I don't know what type of fishing you want to do, but a trawl through the internet or a look at the For Sale section of AN would be good places to start.

Hope I've been of some help, no doubt there will be plenty more advice along soon.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

the reels are actually designed for right handed people, you turn the handle with your left and hold it with your right. as for equipment try your local tocal shop if not have a look for chris goddard on this forum hes a top bloke

Just checked all my fixed-spool reels, you can swap the handle to the other side on every one of them! :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I've seen left-handed people using right-handed reels cast with the rod in their left hand and then transfer it to their right hand to reel in. I'm wondering if the OP thinks that's the normal way to fish, and wants a left-handed reel so that he can fish that way?

Hi There :)

I recently returned to fishing after a few years off.............I used to target game fish when I used to live in Wales but relocated to Wigan where my tackle was of no use (during the move I lost half of it anyway.....)

I decided that I was going to try pole fishing this year and have bought all my kit. The majority of this I bought on eBay including my pole and my box. A lot of people are put off buying from the internet as they are unable to feel the goods. What I did was looked for things I liked and then visited tackle shops to see the items in real life. After this if I was happy I would make the purchase.

I found that for all the kit I prob spent just under £200. This may seem a lot but I spread it over a few week (in between finding the stuff and checking them out)

I know have a full setup and am able to enjoy my fishing again :sun:

Hope this helps

Hi revvie, you're making a very wise decision :)

Local tackle shops will be able to help with lakes and rivers near to you - I'd suggest sticking to still water for now, it's not so tricky. Also, the rivers are closed until 16th June.

For tackle, I'd go for a float rod (say, £30), fixed spool reel (£10-20), 2 rod rests (£5ish), landing net (£20), bits and pieces like line, split-shot weights, floats, hooks, bait box (£15). Once you decide what kind of water you'll be fishing and what species you expect to catch, come back and ask some more specific questions. (Fishing can be very expensive - for the list of gear above you could quite easily spend over £250 - but there's no reason it has to be.)

In addition to tackle you'll need a rod licence (a yearly one is £24 from any post office and allows you to use up to 2 rods at once) and either a day ticket or season/club ticket for wherever you fish. Again, tackle shops should point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps :D

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hello Revvie, welcome to ya.

I'm not too far from Nuneaton, just down the A5 in Lichfield and also have a quiet little place where you are welcome to come and fish. I'm sure I could sort you out with a rod and reel and a few bits and bobs to get you started.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Hello Revvie,

Depending on what sort of fishing you want to do, depends on the tackle you will need. I can sort you out some decent stuff, cheap. I am in Coventry just down the road from you and there are lots of places to fish in and around where you live. Let me know some more info like do you drive, how far you want to go etc and I will put you on to some places to fish. You can email me or send me a pm through this site just click on my name and it will show my profile and you can do either from there.

Paul