GMO's. Would you eat em? Do you like em?

Ken L

All,

Steve,

Are you "bitchin" out Monsanto for "discovering" or the farmers that use Roundup?

Cory,

Monsanto's last relevant patent ended in 2000. Third world countries can do as they wish since then.

ayjay,

I guess you'll have to define "un-natural" for me. If, in fact, "selection" is a natural process why are GMO's not natural?

Phone

ayjay,

I guess you'll have to define "un-natural" for me. If, in fact, "selection" is a natural process why are GMO's not natural?

Phone

The M in GMO does it for me: or are you suggesting that the plants somehow modify themselves?

The M in GMO does it for me: or are you suggesting that the plants somehow modify themselves?

Yeah, they kinda do.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes they do but its reversible, if it dont work they die ,mans intervention is deliberate and unnatural and bad if changed genes cross from modified crops to sub species .

Lots of species have vastly different plants ,perhaps you may wish to change deadly nightshade but doing so has the problem it could change 2000 odd other sub species including potatoes and tomatoes

When GM soya was found in the foodchain monsanta said little more than tough get used to it ,you may not want to eat GM food but theres a great chance you have and will

Cory there will be no fat envelopes we probably have nothing they require

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The question is too vague - it's like asking "do you mind eating food with additives in it". I've no objection in principle to the use of GM technology for food, but there are applications of that technology I would not be happy with. So "what" and "why" would be my questions.

That was intentional. Some people will be agin' the entire idea o' messin' wit nature. Someone else might be against transplanting animal genes (Muslims might not like this for instance) into food plants or current tech may be fine but the near future prospect of artificial chromosomes might offend.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes they do but its reversible, if it dont work they die ,mans intervention is deliberate and unnatural and bad if changed genes cross from modified crops to sub species .

Lots of species have vastly different plants ,perhaps you may wish to change deadly nightshade but doing so has the problem it could change 2000 odd other sub species including potatoes and tomatoes

When GM soya was found in the foodchain monsanta said little more than tough get used to it ,you may not want to eat GM food but theres a great chance you have and will

Cory there will be no fat envelopes we probably have nothing they require

"Yes they do but its reversible" Erm. no. No it's not.

"you may wish to change deadly nightshade but doing so has the problem it could change 2000 odd other sub species including potatoes and tomatoes" I think you are getting mixed up between families and species - or more likely, playing the contrarian and waiting to see who bites.

All those plants are Solanums but they are entirely separate species. Separate species rarely cross pollinate and if they do, the resultant seed id usually non viable or infertile.

"Yes they do but its reversible" Erm. no. No it's not.

"you may wish to change deadly nightshade but doing so has the problem it could change 2000 odd other sub species including potatoes and tomatoes" I think you are getting mixed up between families and species - or more likely, playing the contrarian and waiting to see who bites.

All those plants are Solanums but they are entirely separate species. Separate species rarely cross pollinate and if they do, the resultant seed id usually non viable or infertile.

The reversible thing is the change stops if the plant dies so it reverts back to the living unchanged ones ,in the case of gm corn the change can effect the unchanged ones so eventually becomes irreversible, you cannot find an unchanged one to breed from.

Monsanto didnt find the unchanged corn and change it it happened naturally ,had monsanto not interfered it wouldnt have happened ,fish (or whatever the introduced gene was) dont breed with corn but the resultant crosspolination introduced naturally an unatural happening ,if it goes to the end game all corn will be fish related ,what will we put in if we remove the fish gene ? Horse so it grows faster? But you wont have any unaltered corn incase down the line the fish corn suddenly all dies from some unforseen (or well guarded) pest or disease

In the case of roundup resistancy monsanto make both the killer and the cure ,smacks of a .monopoly to me

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Now you're implying a "God" is involved (you forgot eggplant and peppers). Just wondering, was Monsanto involved in the dinosaur thing?

Steve,

My bad - I usually catch your humoUr.

Phone

Perhaps monsanto think they are ,

What i am saying is once all the plants out there are tainted we cannot start afresh, if the tainted plants in 20 years time all die because the altered gene makes the plant vunerable to some common but unforseen bug or disease then they are gone ,this rarely happens in the wild theres always some plants with resistance .

Take for instance our dutch elm disease ,theres living elms here still some have resistance and it will be passed on ,if the disease killed the trees because we changed its genes and it used the changed genes to kill the trees there would be no resistance ,if all the trees or plants eventually had the changed gene (lots of evidence wild plants can aquire the gene naturally from modded plants) all would disappear. In nature theres natural barriers but if you introduce the changed gene over the world the natural barriers could not stop everything being tainted then all the plants would be vunarable to mr bug or disease if it lived in the neighbourhood ,they would probably come WITH the seed as a bonus so you would have to buy some expensive monsanto spray to try and save your poor plants

I am not saying GM is bad but it combined with money (why else would the research go on) and playing god do not historically work ,huge companies rarely let anything get in the way of short term gain even things that may harm the very thing they are fiddling with

The genie called monsanto is out of its bottle and its not going back in all the time money and power is involved

Cory will go on about companies and conspiricies not happening in his nice blinkered world but you only have to look at beko and their fridges to see money comes before anything else and people dying are rarely cared about if they can get away with it ,in the case of white goods they can be recalled and the missing ones eventually burn or cease working and are disposed off in GM plants once the original stock has gone you cannot start again

Edited by chesters1