Anglers Want Seal Removed

Elton

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on you guys!!

We`ve got coarse anglers that want to shoot cormorants, get rid of otters as well. :rolleyes: Now they complain about a rather smart seal.

We`ve got gardeners that want to get rid of both cormorants and herons, `cos they have a free meal from the dunces fish ponds.

Pigeon fanciers want rid of perrigrines.

Farmers want rid of foxes, rabbits and badgers.

Where will it all end?

If you can`t stand the `whole` of our natural wildlife. May I humbly suggest that folk stick to a pastime or occupation that doesn`t include getting involved with it!!

Mecca Bingo would love another couple of thousand patrons. :D:D

Don`t worry about Norries threat. He hit sod all with his catty! Until he tried a sneaky swerve shot with a mint imperial!! :P

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

There is a trawlerman at Burnham on Crouch who last year got fed up with a sea pinching soles from his cod end.

His solution was to whip 3 shark hooks together to make a big treble, he then atatched it to the cod end and ties it to the codend of the trawle.

He was bosting to my mate that it must of given the seal a tooth ache as on his next tow the hooks had gone.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

We have massive problems with seals taking fish when you are winding them upto the surface ,it can get your blood boiling sometimes but the matter of fact is there is just not enough food there for them to feed naturaly, now that is down to man,but on the other hand there is a massive seal population at the moment it seems a little strange when you think there isnt the fish stocks there used to be but the seals are still thriving but then again most days in winter we give them a good feed it does pee you off when they snap you and pop up with a 10lb cod in there jaws.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

What if the seal starts eating something rare say like otters, or water voles - what then do you let one seal out of its environment do what it thinks or do you remove it by what ever means? I'm afraid there is a lot of the Disney effect here, people happy to impale a live fish to catch a bass, but unhappy that someone wishes to kill a mammal, its all rather funny to me. You impale a pout for hours on end yet get angry that someone wants to kill a seal or any other mammal quickly. All sports that involve animals are cruel to an extent, but just because on has big sad eyes and the other is a nuisance we get all rielled up. IMHO I'm happy to use live bait and I don't feel I can criticise another for wanting to kill a seal. But then I realise that Bambi wasn't real

Hello Pelyma,

I take your point about the live baiting but I supose even a lug worm has feelings,but I dont agree with the water vole arguement its a bit like saying "what happens if it waddles into a school and eats all the first form ?" Its probably statisticaly possible but in reality it aint going to happen. Its a Seal not an Alligator. the only case for direct intervention I would agree to, is if it was a threat to poeples saftey. but seeing that no one yet; has, as far as I am aware has fielded that as a topic I still think leave it be.If it becomes a public safety issue let the RSPCA use thier experteise

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

jeebus! some of us anglers come from very diffrent angles as it were! shoot the seal ,remove the seal! becous its doing somthing completly natural and may of only been driven by the lak of fish in its sea enviroment! always luve the way humans happily mess up the balance of nature and then mone when mother nature dose somthing that isnt to ar liking,

that seal has more of a right to that water than any of us!

leave it bee so wot the fishing has been bad!

i will always prefer a natural predator taking my fish than the glutony and greed of the human race! leave the fat bastard with the sopy eyes alone (not talking about u five bellies lol)

The reason that seals come up river is probably is search of food.

Cormerants now infest commercial course fisheries due to the fact that the commercial fisherman have caught most of the food sources.

Sand eels, small flatties, and eels are some of the staple diet for cormerants, the sand eels have been hamered for trout pellets and furtaliser, and the pair trawlers caught most of the normal eels.The inshore, tremmel netts, sole netts and trawlers have decimated the inshore flounder fishing in my area.

With most of the food sources gone these animals act on impulse and go in search up river.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!