Centrepin reel.

Guest tigger

I have owned a leeds, Speedia, Trudex, and am currently using a Youngs "Bob James"

The Youngs reel beats all the others hands down, then again at 200 quid it bloody well should! It's nice and light, runs smoothly, and is tough enough to take a bit of punishment (I use mine for stalking carp amongst other things) the fact that it has a great "traditional" spoked look to it is an added bonus!

I've also got a Lewtham "Magnum Blue" on the way, ( http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/index.php?news=252 ) Hoping it will be here in time to give it a whirl at the weekend!

Mat

Mat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OI OI

thank's for the info lads, i must admit i like the look of the magnum blue, could you let me know how you get on with it please matty.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

I have a Free Spirit 'Searcher' - which is a copy of an Adcock, I think. It's OK, nothing more. I have an infinite preference for Leon Roskilly's old Leeds - it was the first one I used in earnest - and felt far more robust than my 'Spirit'.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

OI OI

thank's for the info lads, i must admit i like the look of the magnum blue, could you let me know how you get on with it please matty.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Will do, as long as you promise not to call me Matty again ;-) :D

Mat

Mat

Guest tigger
I have owned a leeds, Speedia, Trudex, and am currently using a Youngs "Bob James"

The Youngs reel beats all the others hands down, then again at 200 quid it bloody well should! It's nice and light, runs smoothly, and is tough enough to take a bit of punishment (I use mine for stalking carp amongst other things) the fact that it has a great "traditional" spoked look to it is an added bonus!

I've also got a Lewtham "Magnum Blue" on the way, ( http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/index.php?news=252 ) Hoping it will be here in time to give it a whirl at the weekend!

Mat

Have you never had a problem with the handles on the Youngs reel catching your fingers when letting out line? Maybe it's my fat fingers but I just found it a bit of a flaw in their design and they may have been better off setting the handles further in on the spool. I've just sold my mates Youngs for him as he was fed up of this happening to him, he's now got a Stanton and doesn't have the problem anymore.

Tigger.

Have you never had a problem with the handles on the Youngs reel catching your fingers when letting out line? Maybe it's my fat fingers but I just found it a bit of a flaw in their design and they may have been better off setting the handles further in on the spool. I've just sold my mates Youngs for him as he was fed up of this happening to him, he's now got a Stanton and doesn't have the problem anymore.

Tigger.

I've never had a problem with handles on a centrepin, the only time they come into play is when you hook a fish, I retrieve by 'batting' the reel. I have tried without handles, but prefer the control they give when playing a large fish. Maybe trying to hold the rod a bit differently would help Tigger.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger

Here is my collection of pins up to now ; all Stanton's except for the Richard Carter.

Centrepinreelsweb.jpg

I've just given the 5 inch Stanton to my mate who had the same problem as me with the Youngs handles being too close to the edge.

I've never had a problem with handles on a centrepin, the only time they come into play is when you hook a fish, I retrieve by 'batting' the reel. I have tried without handles, but prefer the control they give when playing a large fish. Maybe trying to hold the rod a bit differently would help Tigger.

failing that, go on a diet. :lol: