size of float with a centrepin

The Flying Tench

I know it's popular for 'pins to have perforated back plates, but I prefer a solid one even with the bit of extra weight. I remember when Andy was getting peoples opinions on the AN pin, I mentioned that I had reservations about that bit of the design, for just the reason John's mentioned.

I'm guilty of being seduced by the pretty 12 spoke double ventilated aerial reels but I have to say that my most recent acquisition (Lythe Scotton Long Trotter) is a royal pain to use. It's manufactured to such fine tolerances that when crap gets onto the backplate the drum stops turning properly, it's full of holes and spokes so crap does get in very easily.

Edward Barder had the right idea with his fully enclosed lightweight centrepin, wish I'd bought one of those instead.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I will help you out and take if off your hands for say £150....well what are mates for

I'm guilty of being seduced by the pretty 12 spoke double ventilated aerial reels but I have to say that my most recent acquisition (Lythe Scotton Long Trotter) is a royal pain to use. It's manufactured to such fine tolerances that when crap gets onto the backplate the drum stops turning properly, it's full of holes and spokes so crap does get in very easily.

Edward Barder had the right idea with his fully enclosed lightweight centrepin, wish I'd bought one of those instead.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I will help you out and take if off your hands for say £150....well what are mates for

Gee thanks Steve, I almost took you up on that but decided to do the maths before I popped it on e-bay.

Current selling price is £625.00 plus £40.00 for the lever check so minimum BIN would be £665.00. Then it's a case of putting a value on the four year wait, £50.00 per year seems reasonable so a BIN of £865.00 might see it sell. Got to be worth a punt.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I never have any problems with crap getting into my CP's when I use them. Occasionally i'll have a grinding crunching noise when a bit of dirt has got between the backplate edge and the drum edge but that's it, and that's only very occassionally. All I do to solve it is remove the drum and wipe round the edge of the backplate and the edge of the drum.

I don't know what your all doing to get so much crap on and in your reels....try dipping them in the river and wipeing them on a towel now and then ;) .

I mean dipping your hand (not reel) in the river and wiping it on the towel :).

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

I don't know what your all doing to get so much crap on and in your reels....try dipping them in the river and wipeing them on a towel now and then ;) .

Or really riddling your maggots well before you put them in your bait apron - makes a BIG difference to the amount of crap getting (or not) in ones' reel....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I like to use the biggest Avon type floats I can get away with, by shotting them down until just the tip of the float is showing, I get more control with heavier floats.

And the bigger floats on fast flowing water does not seem to affect my catch rate.

As for muck getting behind the drum and the back plate, I'm with Tigger, it don't often happen and if it does I just dip the reels in the river and dry it off again ?

I must say I'm a long time user of the Youngs Trudex centrepins and I don't get a lot of problems, although my favourite pin is the Youngs Purist, both reels have solid back plates !!

Bob

Edited by BobH

Really I had no idea you think you are trying to help out a mate in his time of need and well he makes you out to be shallow and money driven.......£350 cash final offer Back on topic I often trot with floats of this size when fishing out of the kayak/boat http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackle/Floats/Hi-viz-Floats-17.html but obviously not for dace ;) ...the Trent great big ugly blue blinged up reel is used when I am out after esox and trotting a livey down past a line of Trees gives that is it isn`t it buzz

Gee thanks Steve, I almost took you up on that but decided to do the maths before I popped it on e-bay

Current selling price is £625.00 plus £40.00 for the lever check so minimum BIN would be £665.00. Then it's a case of putting a value on the four year wait, £50.00 per year seems reasonable so a BIN of £865.00 might see it sell. Got to be worth a punt.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've only got one pin that gives me a problem, it's the cheapest one, my Leeds centrepin, just one drop of rainwater between the spool and backplate brings forth the most horrible grinding noises, it's soon cured though.

One of these days I'll remember not to use it if it looks like rain.

Floats - my regular trotting float on the Lea was a 4 No 4 wire stemmed stick, fishing on the Avon and Stour now I tend to use about a 5 or 6bb Stick or Avon in good conditions; or heavier depending on the weather & water, up to a 5/6 swan loafer/chubber.

The good thing about open backed reels (reels with a ventelated back plate like the lightweight Youngs BJ's) is in rain the water just runs straight out of the back and dripps off the bottom of the backplate rather than welling up in between the spool and backplate as often happens with a solid backed centrepin.

For some reason I find a centrepin with a ball race works better when water gets inside the reel, some thing like the okuma range.

But for almost all my trotting I use a true pin reel ,match aerial or a trudex,speedia. Its a personal thing but I find i get more control with a true pin reel .