Womens' Knickers

Andy Macfarlane

not big but a pretty pair ,from my Intrepid archive ,inscribed on back

Grace Oglesby with a 17lb salmon taken from the River Lune with a black and gold devon minnow using an Intrepid Challenger Reel.

perhaps a relation to the famous Arthur?

copyright to who ever took the picture ofcourse (get in touch if you stumble across this post)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All though I believe that Daves sugestions for womens sucsess are most likely right its worth remembering that (well Im pretty sure Im right) that Miss Ballantyne was fishing by herself without a ghillie when she caught the massive fish.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All though I believe that Daves sugestions for womens sucsess are most likely right its worth remembering that (well Im pretty sure Im right) that Miss Ballantyne was fishing by herself without a ghillie when she caught the massive fish.

Correction Budgie - In fact she was fishing with her father

As quoted - Miss Ballantine's fish, said to be 54in long, was caught on the Glendelvine beat of the River Tay. Its capture was recorded in a sepia photograph showing the 32-year-old angler, who was fishing with her father James, posing in tweed coat and hat.

Her catch was the talk of gentlemen's clubs throughout Britain and made headlines around the world. It was also said to have inspired thousands of women to take up the sport.

On October 7, 1922, she had already caught salmon of 25lb, 22lb and 17lb when she hooked the record salmon at 6.15pm.

When her father complained at the length of time she was taking to land the fish, she asked him if he would buy her a frock if she brought it to the bank safely.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

She was only a ferryman's daughter, but she showed that she could handle a big one! ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There are several reasons why women do disproportionately well at salmon fishing.

1. They pay careful attention to their ghillie and tend to fish exactly how and where he suggests.

Many male anglers tend to think they know better - but common sense says the ghillie usually knows his patch far better than the visiting angler.

A spin off from the above is that a ghillie is far more likely to give more helpful advice to a female who listens to him than to a male who does not. (perhaps the pheremones work better on the ghillie than on the salmon :rolleyes: )

2. Women persist with the method they are told at the beginning of the session, and with the fly they are told to use. That means they spend a greater proportion of the time actually fishing than male anglers who change the fly every twenty minutes. An old adage re salmon is "the flee aye in the watter"

3. Allied to the above, a woman will recast to get the fly back into the water as quickly as possible, by contrast men will make herculean attempts to get maximum distance, with LOTS of false casting.

4. Women wade more cautiously than men, and hence more quietly.

Add those and similar factors together, and the woman is spending much more time actually fishing in what the ghillie thinks is the best way - so the odds are in her favour

I think that these are probably better reasons than any pheremones. When I used to fly fish on Loch Arklet and Loch Katrine when I was a laddie I only used two flys. I used to buy them from a wee tackle shop in Callander. They flies were Grey Monkey and Black Spider. I used them in rain, hail, or shine and I didn't blank very often.

She was only a ferryman's daughter, but she showed that she could handle a big one! ;)
She was only a bankers daughter, when you made a withdrawal she lost interest OR She was only a bankers daughter, she opened her drawers for cash.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

There are several reasons why women do disproportionately well at salmon fishing.

5. Men, often keen to gain favour of women, hook into the fish and pass them the rod to reel it in and take the credit.

Just a wild theory, obviously, but it's what happens with a lot of big game fish (just replace 'women' with 'paying customers'). ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

5. Men, often keen to gain favour of women, hook into the fish and pass them the rod to reel it in and take the credit.

Just a wild theory, obviously, but it's what happens with a lot of big game fish (just replace 'women' with 'paying customers'). ;)

Now where is it that I put Tania's mobile phone#? :lol:

Just a wild theory, but women might make better anglers than men. My 18yo can pull in fat french carp just as well as her boyfriend who introduced her to carping.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote