National Anthems

poledark

when we changed ours to Advance Australia Fair ( which is great when sang by the kids choir ) there was a big push for it to be Waltzing Matilda

which is just about recognised round the world as Austalian, most Aussies would know the words to that and sad to say most dont know the words to Advance Australia Fair.

When I was 8 we had an Aussie exchange teacher at our S.London school for a term. We all learnt Waltzing Matilda, all about the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney Harbour and how to do a freehand map of Oz complete with all the state lines + capitals :lol: Think Matilda would be a bit silly as an anthem tho ;)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... i think there are about three verses for god save the queen

there used to be 6, one of which was very nasty about the Scots. No wonder they don't like the English

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Gawd Save The Queen is a bit lame, but after hearing the Brazilian anthem before the New Zealand game, it doesn't sound that bad. Can't beat the french anthem though....when its played in Ricks Bar in Casablanca even I have to stand up :)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Can't beat the french anthem though....when its played in Ricks Bar in Casablanca even I have to stand up :)

I Surrender, Dear? :rolleyes:

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

I Surrender, Dear? :rolleyes:

More accurately, Sev, it would have to be 'I surrender, Simian'

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

most Aussies would know the words to that and sad to say most dont know the words to Advance Australia Fair.

Have you heard The Sensitive New Age Cowpersons version? Very funny - first line perfect, then lots of hesitation, deviation and repetition...

http://www.cowpersons.com/

there used to be 6, one of which was very nasty about the Scots. No wonder they don't like the English

It went something like this:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the King!

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It went something like this:

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the King!

How times have changed. I read today that Radio 1 will not play any World Cup songs that say England too many times, in case it upsets the Scots, Welsh and Irish. :blink:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Things weren't as clear-cut as "The English being beastly to the Scots again". Both the Scots and Irish presented a threat more because of their alliances with Catholic France and Spain than on their own accounts. The Scots themselves weren't above fighting for the Hanoverians if they saw an advantage in terms of their own clan rivalries. The whole course of history would have been different if the 1715 or 1745 rebellions had been successful.

A bit insensitive to keep that verse about Wade in for so many years after Culloden, though...

A bit insensitive to keep that verse about Wade in for so many years after Culloden, though...

True Davy, but I think we should keep it in just for the England Scotland games <_<

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'