National Anthems

poledark

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny, Gerry. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

At least I haven't gotten around to singing 'Kevin Barry' or the Dubliners' song about the woman who married on of the signatories to the 1916 declaration of independence about 15 minutes before

he was executed. Apparently, she lived until the late 1980's without subsequently remarrying. (all of which is by way of saying I can't remember the name of the song!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Too funny, Gerry. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

At least I haven't gotten around to singing 'Kevin Barry' or the Dubliners' song about the woman who married on of the signatories to the 1916 declaration of independence about 15 minutes before

he was executed. Apparently, she lived until the late 1980's without subsequently remarrying. (all of which is by way of saying I can't remember the name of the song!

I suspect that the Dubliners are in such a state these days that they too would not remember the song.

I saw them twice on stage. Once at a St Patricks Day concert at the Albert Hall. On the way out the man in front carrying the remains of a crate of guiness staggered into a glass door, which promptly shattered and showered tiny fragments of glass over everyone. The second occasion was in Muenster (Westphalia) when we shared the stadium with a contingent of Irish Rangers . concert finished at 11pm..rangers had to be back in barracks at 11pm. They stayed until the last possible moment then as one, about 250 of them stood up and dashed for the exit......one of them carrying a crate of guinness ran into a glass door at the top of the stairs and....... well you know the rest. Something about that band that inspired their audiences.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I still think Billy Connolly had the right idea when he suggested the theme tune from the archers as the new national anthem. :)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I suspect that the Dubliners are in such a state these days that they too would not remember the song.

I saw them twice on stage. Once at a St Patricks Day concert at the Albert Hall. On the way out the man in front carrying the remains of a crate of guiness staggered into a glass door, which promptly shattered and showered tiny fragments of glass over everyone. The second occasion was in Muenster (Westphalia) when we shared the stadium with a contingent of Irish Rangers . concert finished at 11pm..rangers had to be back in barracks at 11pm. They stayed until the last possible moment then as one, about 250 of them stood up and dashed for the exit......one of them carrying a crate of guinness ran into a glass door at the top of the stairs and....... well you know the rest. Something about that band that inspired their audiences.

I love it!

A few years ago (about 30!) I saw them play in Chatham, and afterwards disappeared to a hotel near Gravesend which had a late licence - and you could order dinner until 11.30pm

I got there for 10.30, and half way through the first course in walked The Dubliners, and they pretty much carried on from their gig. Their Guinness consumption was incredible. I knew the resident keyboard player (she was my girlfriend at the time) and from the state of her hangover the next day, I would say that she collaborated pretty well with them! I later heard that this is typical - do the gig and adjourn to the bar to play for their own amusement - and if you happen to be there, you'd better be joining in!

I did a bit of digging about, and the song I referred to was called 'Grace' - the lady's name was Grace Gifford and she married Joseph Mary Plunkett and they were allowed about 15 minutes together under supervision, before he met the firing squad at kilmainham Gaol the following morning.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

Athenry is trevs fav too... the tune is so haunting ...and the words speak volumes!!!!! i would love to go to Dublin to watch the irsh play rugby ...just to listen to the singing...well watching the game would be good too. :sun:

Go there and watch England -v- Ireland, enjoy the game and then also enjoy after the match, BOTH sets of fans drinking in Pubs, sitting in streets and not so much as a cross word exchanged.

Personally what does it for me is "A Minstrel Boy"

Which was taken up by The Americans after the war of independance and added to, but the original is great :)

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

when we changed ours to Advance Australia Fair ( which is great when sang by the kids choir ) there was a big push for it to be Waltzing Matilda

which is just about recognised round the world as Austalian, most Aussies would know the words to that and sad to say most dont know the words to Advance Australia Fair.

Don't they still have someone lead the crowd in "Waltzing Matilda" before rugby internationals?

Maybe we should have our own Haka. Perhaps an arm raised with a loose fist waving left to right?

IMO "God Save the Queen" is depressing.

I'd much prefer "Land of Hope & Glory" (yes, Rob, it is used when England wins a Commonwealth gold). Or even "I Vow to Thee my Country" from the Jupiter movement of the Planet Suite by Gustav Holst, who despite his name was English.

I'm not usually moved by nationalistic songs, but I was inspired by both the melody and words of "I am Australian", by Bruce Woodley of the Seekers. Not really appropriate for a national anthem, but does anyone else know it?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

IMO "God Save the Queen" is depressing.

I'd much prefer "Land of Hope & Glory" (yes, Rob, it is used when England wins a Commonwealth gold). Or even "I Vow to Thee my Country" from the Jupiter movement of the Planet Suite by Gustav Holst, who despite his name was English.

I'm not usually moved by nationalistic songs, but I was inspired by both the melody and words of "I am Australian", by Bruce Woodley of the Seekers. Not really appropriate for a national anthem, but does anyone else know it?

Yes, Steve. The Aussies used it for the last rugby World Cup. I have friends around Queanbeyan and Andamooka - there was a lot of rhubarb passing between us all. The lyrics are great, but the song was ruined when they played a version of it sung by an Aussie girl Kasey Chambers.

I came from the dream-time, from the dusty red soil plains

I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame.

I stood upon the rocky shore, I watched the tall ships come.

For forty thousand years I've been the first Australian.

We are one, but we are many

And from all the lands on earth we come

We share a dream and sing with one voice:

I am, you are, we are Australian

I came upon the prison ship, bowed down by iron chains.

I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.

I'm a settler, I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run

A convict then a free man, I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lode

The girl became a woman on the long and dusty road

I'm a child of the depression, I saw the good times come

I'm a bushy, I'm a battler, I am Australian

I'm a teller of stories, I'm a singer of songs

I am Albert Namatjira, I paint the ghostly gums

I am Clancy on his horse, I'm Ned Kelly on the run

I'm the one who waltzed Matilda, I am Australian

I'm the hot wind from the desert, I'm the black soil of the plains

I'm the mountains and the valleys, I'm the drought and flooding rains

I am the rock, I am the sky, the rivers when they run

The spirit of this great land, I am Australian

I thought the Aussies would have chosen "The Pub with no Beer"made famous by the late Slim Dusty? Ideal for a national anthem,!!!!

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.