Pole v rod and reel

jevs

I don't care what anyone says, the pole is just another tool in the anglers arsenal.

I will fish the pole where the conditions are right, but will not hesitate to use a float rod if the fish are biting beyond the reach of the pole, or a ledger rod if the water conditions call for it.

A pole is a tool to place your hookbait in EXACTLY the same place, with as little disturbance as possible. The pole will let you place your hookbait closer to, for instance, lily pads, than any rod will!

Disagree with the last bit as with the right rig you can fish close to lilly pads or in them with the rod!!!

I have used a pole for years and they are good (had carp to 14lb on one) but you have much more control with a rod and I prefer to feel the fish,play it accordingly,it just feels right and better with a rod.

Just my opinion but I am right :lol:

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have said, a pole is just another tool in the anglers arsenal.

I went down my local water last week and decided to target Crucians on three sections of a pole, caught plenty - also caught two Tench and a Carp just over 14lb ON THREE SECTIONS OF A POLE!!

a pole can take a lot of punisment from fish, and the new hollow core or Hydro elastic makes for interesting fishing. But is still ONLY A TOOL!!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I also have to agree with kleinboet on this one, they are just another way of catching and like him I find them excellent for catching Crucian carp because of their accuracy in placing a sensitive rig.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Poles are not for me, they just don,t interest me as a tool for fishing but then again my preference is for fishing running waters (rivers) with a fair bit of flow, over pond fishing or very slow rivers where the float is not likely to move too quickly. For those who fish ponds or slow moving rivers then I suppose there is some attraction for their use, but on the waters I fish they're just not practical and thats got to be the judgement call as to whether the tool you use is practical for the situation you encounter.

I do have a six meter flick tip whip and thats about as far as I'll go towards a pole so for me its a thumbs down for the pole and the thumbs up for rod and reel from me

Personaly I have always thought that poles are too efficient. Like using a machine gun as opposed to a rifle to hunt with. There is something unsporting about it that I just do not like. But that is just my own opinion and I would in no way criticise the scaffolding fraternity among anglers if that is the tool that they choose to catch fish with.

Does a golfer ony have one club?

Fishing the pole gives better presentation as finer and better balanced tackle can be used.

There are times when a rod and reel will outfish a pole and vice-versa.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

I am a match anglers and probably 70% of my fishing is done on the pole. It can be a very enjoyable way of fishing especially with a long line on a pacey river. I can enjoy pole fishing even when pleasure fishing though I dont thinkl that would be true if I had to go back to using the slopy heavy poles that used to be the norm. I am lucky in that the pole I use is expensive and a world away from some of the cheaper poles sold.

That said if given a choice between a day on the wagler or a days pole fishing the wagler wins every time.

As Den says, "horses for courses", each can out fish the other, depending on venue, weather, species and angler.

As for enjoyment value, then again it's down to the individual. I like float fishing so much that I sometimes still trot a float, when I know that a leger or feeder approach will bring better results. After all, we go angling because we enjoy it..............Don't we???????????????

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Each to his own.

I myself don't like a few things about pole fishing.

The high maintenence nature of a pole.

The massive cost of some of these poles!

The fact that I'd be much more pleased with an accurate cast to underneath a snag than shipping a long stick out there.

Having said that you can't argue with the amount of fish pole can catch in certain situations and that it is the perfect tool for the match angler.

I just think it's a bit like doing the crossword with a dictionary and a thessarus next to you.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Poles are not for me, they just don,t interest me as a tool for fishing but then again my preference is for fishing running waters (rivers) with a fair bit of flow, over pond fishing or very slow rivers where the float is not likely to move too quickly.

I've seen a friend of mine, an exceptionally good stick float angler, choose to fish the pole on a fast, narrow river to extract good chub from under far bank cover.

I'm in the "It's just a tool" camp. I'd usually rather fish a running line, but there are circumstances where a pole just makes much more sense. Fishing on the drop, particularly in water over a rodlength deep, it's a hell of a lot easier than a running line.