Stillwater perch in the cold

Mat Hillman

Are stillwater perch a realistic target at this time of year? (or more likely after Xmas now) I've been given some info about a local carp venue that is said to hold some really large perch, and I'd like to have a go for them.

The water is a day ticket mainly carp water of around 5 acres and has depths from 4 to around 20ft

Mat

Mat

I'd say so yes. I've got out of the habit recently but during previous winters fishing non-flowing sections of the K&A canal I'd measure the water temperature and found that below about 40 degrees F the chances of a perch were slim. Above that they were happy to feed.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes absolutely!

I do near all my perch fishing in the winter. I've found they can be tough if it's really really cold but the only situation in which I wouldn't fish (and expect to catch) would be if the lake was frozen.

Any size? Have you stopped blogging?C.

2lb3 equal to my pb, couldn't edge it over no matter how hard I stared at the screen :( I have through being lazy, should really pick it back up again as I'm managing to get a fair bit of fishing in

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88