10 years on

Ken L

A bit off topic but I agree with Peter that it would seem to make things a lot fairer in matchs if a maximum cost/length of pole was allowed.Seems unfair that you cant pole fish at the same distance as the richer man who can afford a longer pole.

After all many clubs who ban bloodworm/jokers say it is because not all the competitors can afford it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning this topic just slightly, something that I would like to happen within ten years, and that is a re-think on licencing. I really think that the many of us who seldom use two rods at once should pay less than those that do. Illogical? Maybe, but a rod in hand, with total concentration on the rod tip, float or whatever, produced a different calibre of angler to some of the shallow, one species, sleep on the job anglers that we have around us today. I just think that angling might be better for a return to some of the values of yesteryear.

Peter , Match angling came to prominence from hundreds of works clubs , anglers would board dozens of coaches and descend on places like the Welland , Witham , Trent etc, It was a true working mans sport in those days (before my time) and to own a car was unheard of.......could it be that the wheel will turn full circle? will the car be priced out of the ordinary mans pocket? perhaps, but not in the next 10 years anyway, but maybe beyond that?

On the subject of parity regarding pole lengths and bait limits, this is already in place at the highest level (World Championships) but when the current England manager Mark Downes suggested rules similar to the CIPS rules for our domestic competitions, it was met with complete indifference and an unwillingness to break from traditions by the rank and file.......maybe in 10 years time financial constraints will force a re-think?

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Nice one Bob! :lol::lol:

well i can say that the rivers that i used to fish 10 years ago no longer come up to the fishing i got then even the river down my garden does not fish like it used to and i mean fish their was a time when i could say i am just going down the garden to catch a double not anymore i have to read the river now before i know that the so called big fish are there and they are just takes more time i blame pollution and new buildings sorry to winge but its so true

i have to disagree with the last post max, the trent is just 1 of the many rivers that have staged a remarkable comeback from pollution, cleaner now than for many previous years, and big fish? most rivers are now producing bigger fish than ever before, i.e recent barble records, huge ouse perch etc. maybe some species such as roach have seen better days but that could be explained by the anomoly of fewer anglers targeting them and pursuing barble instead?

Due to the escalating high levels of Estrogen (emanating from the contraceptive pill ) in our rivers and water ways, most anglers will become cross dressing faggots, mohawks and queers, our usual attire of check shirts,jeans and waders, will be replaced with pink lycra body hugging all in one waterproof outfits with matching pink wellies and fake diamond Tiara's.......the upside of this un-natural (for some) phenomenon, will be a closer and more intimate relationship with the boating fraternity and the frequent cries of "Ooooo! Hello Sailor!" will reverberate our in-land waterways.

And I thought that you were drawn to blokes with choppers, Bob!!

i have to disagree with the last post max, the trent is just 1 of the many rivers that have staged a remarkable comeback from pollution, cleaner now than for many previous years, and big fish? most rivers are now producing bigger fish than ever before, i.e recent barble records, huge ouse perch etc. maybe some species such as roach have seen better days but that could be explained by the anomoly of fewer anglers targeting them and pursuing barble instead?

It could also be explained by the lack of successful spawning by what some call "silvers". This could be due to the effect of so many big fish in the rivers, that the smaller species are getting crowded out, (yes I am thinking carp here :o ). The mind set of many of today's anglers is one of bigger and better catches, instead of just enjoying the session its self. The post of Mr Matthews say it all, when the expectations are raised to such a level, that some moan that they can only get 10-20 lb in a session, then something is wrong somewhere. I have even seen posts on here where the capture of tench to 5-6lb are met with disappointment, and the capture of a bag 3-4lb chub is classed as "a few small ones", same with perch under 2lb and barbel under double figures. What the Hell is this all about? Is it any wonder that newcomers to angling are put off posting when they are made to feel that their catches are pathetic, even in comparison to the "disappointing" catches of others. I am lucky in that I have never set myself targets, and my list of PBs (if I could remember them all) would be classed as "disappointing" to some. This is after over 45 years of angling, remember. But I can honestly say that I have enjoyed almost every moment of the time I have spent angling.

Most waters left to nature will go through cycles of species dominance, big barbel years, big roach years etc, as nature will balance its self over a period. But the modern method of manipulating fish stocks to provide instant results will IMO ruin this balance and eventually lead to the virtual extinction of many smaller 'native' species.

And as to the reported 'cleaner' rivers, it has been speculated that these are clearer not cleaner rivers and the levels of some substances that are not conducive to successful spawning are still high. Remember that big fish start off as little fish, and without plenty of small fish what happens when these big fish eventually die and there is nothing coming through to take their place? Oh I forgot you can always restock with artificially reared big fish from fish farms and keep the majority happy. <_<

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Is it any wonder that newcomers to angling are put off posting when they are made to feel that their catches are pathetic, even in comparison to the "disappointing" catches of others

It won't put me off posting. I really don't care what size of fish I catch - it's the trying to catch that's fun. It's sitting, watching, enjoying the outdoors, breathing the fresh air, clearing away the cobwebs.

Looking at some of the magazines I've bought to learn how to fish was almost enough to put me off altogether. I really don't see what is sporting or fun about catching egg laden fish, time after time. Fish that are recognisable because of the scars and wounds caused by being caught regularly.

....or is it just that men are obsessed with size? :rolleyes:

Janet

The biggest change over the next ten years, will be the number of people fishing. 'When I was a lad', which I appreciate was more than 10 years ago a good 50% of my school mates went fishing. Be it in Rivers, Ponds or the Sea. That was what we did, every oportunity and certainly everyweekend.

My Eldest is 22 years old, my youngest 19, we have been fishing together but they don't jump up and down at the offer, or if I say I am going they might attend if nothing better to do (like stay in bed!) Amongst the years I have met hundreds of lads (and lasses) and I have, in truth spoken to ONE lad who said amongst his pleasures was fishing.

THAT is the change we will see, it is bad enough now when the Angling Family is still a relatively broad cross section of the populace. With declining numbers comes decling voice. Why have fish in ponds and lakes when you can use the water to flush the loo and water the flowers or wash the car. Interesting fact I heard the other day (not sure if true) In The united Kingdom 33% of potable (drinkable) water is flushed down the lavatory.

I would like google earth to be able to go back in time so I could see all the places I used to fish, now gone to make way for houses, trout streams I used to drink from dry and overgrown. Those that are running with water now have concrete banks to prevent flooding or to change the rivers course.

Biggest change to fishing, in 30 years from now there will be nobody fishing :blink:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

It won't put me off posting. I really don't care what size of fish I catch - it's the trying to catch that's fun. It's sitting, watching, enjoying the outdoors, breathing the fresh air, clearing away the cobwebs.

Looking at some of the magazines I've bought to learn how to fish was almost enough to put me off altogether. I really don't see what is sporting or fun about catching egg laden fish, time after time. Fish that are recognisable because of the scars and wounds caused by being caught regularly.

....or is it just that men are obsessed with size? :rolleyes:

Janet

Glad to hear that it won't put you off posting Janet.

Your views, as a newcomer to angling, are IMO a guide to what we more experienced anglers should be looking at. Because yours is an objective view, and not clouded by years of in fighting and selfish manipulation of fisheries and species, which are all too common in some quarters.

Blimey Huge I thought I was the pessimistic one. Do you want some of my tablets?

Sadly though, (and surprisingly), I find my self in the awkward position of having to admit, that I agree with you. :o (I'm going to lie down in a dark room until I feel better) :unsure:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John