HELP FOR BEGINNER?

Janet

Hi guys,

As a complete angling newcomer, I'm looking for some advice.

I've recently bought my first rod, with the intention of fishing on my local canal. I was given lots of help and advice by my local angling shop, who kept me supplied with many cups of tea and set me up with basic equipment ready to start. My problem is that I have never fished before, and don't know anyone else who does, so I'm really having to teach myself - it's not proving easy!

I've searched the forum and found loads of advice, perhaps too much, because I'm getting very confused with all the conflicting advice and some of the terminology.

Can some of you kind people please give me some practical and simple advice to get me started? I've been to the canal a couple of times, had a few bites, but haven't managed to catch anything yet. I'm not too worried about that, and it's not putting me off, but a fish would be nice!

Thanks!

Janet

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Anglers Net Janet, you have come to the right place.

Firstly what sort of fishing are you planning, and what equipment have you been sold?

My guess is you have a match or float rod, a fixed spool reel spooled up with 2-4 pound line, a selection of waggler floats, some hooks to nylon around sizes 14 to 20, split shot dispenser, and possibly a landing net, and disgorger or small forceps.

Have you read any magazines such as the weekly (out on tues) Angling Times or monthly Improve your coarse fishing? these are a pretty good start for picking up tips on rigging, bait presentation and suchlike.

You will find most anglers on the bank quite helpful don't be afraid to ask.

There may even be one of our AN members living close to you who may be willing to show you the tricks, if you let us know your local canal.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

As you are just starting out it may be a good idea to try a day ticket comercial fishery where the stocking levels are lot higher than most canals. You can then get into practice and get the idea of what works and what doesn't then you can move on to more challenging venues.

If you post what sort of area you are planning to fish Im sure someone will recommend somwhere for you to go.

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Hi guys,

As a complete angling newcomer, I'm looking for some advice.

I've recently bought my first rod, with the intention of fishing on my local canal. I was given lots of help and advice by my local angling shop, who kept me supplied with many cups of tea and set me up with basic equipment ready to start. My problem is that I have never fished before, and don't know anyone else who does, so I'm really having to teach myself - it's not proving easy!

I've searched the forum and found loads of advice, perhaps too much, because I'm getting very confused with all the conflicting advice and some of the terminology.

Can some of you kind people please give me some practical and simple advice to get me started? I've been to the canal a couple of times, had a few bites, but haven't managed to catch anything yet. I'm not too worried about that, and it's not putting me off, but a fish would be nice!

Thanks!

Janet

hi Janet

on a canal look to find the bottom of the far shelf,(a canal is like a bowl it is shallow on the inside then drops down to the middle then you get the channel then it starts to rise again up the far shelf these areas are where the fish will be) as this should be the main catching are on a canal.

you might want to feed this line and also further over as during your session the wish will shy off.

the best approach is to find the dead depth of the canal on these lines and fish your bait at dead depth, then you can shallow up and also lay your bait on the bottom by fishing deeper.

main rule is keep the bait going in don't just sit there waiting, so about every 3 or 4 minutes catapult out about 8 to 10 maggots or casters to keep the fish interested.

you might also want to put some ground bait in at the start, if the water is clear then opt for a darker ground bait or even try worms as bait.

i can go on and on but these basics should catch you some fish.

your setup should be with a rod fish a waggler of about 2aa and put the bulk of the shot around the float then put around 8 droppers down the line IE number 8 or 9 shot, you can then change your shotting pattern to suit, IE 2 then 2 then 2 then 1 and 1 or 5 plus 3 droppers but that is for you to experiment with.

a goos bait for wagler fishing is pinkies and maggot, you can use squats but you need to fish a hook to suit the bait something like a size 22 for squad 20 for pinkie and 18 for maggot.

there are other option with bigger baits but as i say this should help you a bit,

good luck.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Hi again Janet, I told you there would be plenty of help if you asked.

I spoke to Janet on another thread, and the water that she's been trying is the Leeds and Liverpool canal near Clayton-le-Moors, near Burnley. Does anyone know the area, and can give some practical info' about the place, as well as general canal fishing info'?

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Really great to hear you've started fishing without knowing any anglers! What got you interested?

Can I say a couple of things which may seem very obvious if you know them, but they're vital so I'll say them in case. I assume, as a beginner, you don't mind if the fish you catch are small to start with. I assume you're fishing with maggots (IMHO the best bait to get SOMETHING). To get bites you need to throw about 10 maggots round the hook every minute or so to attract the fish. When you get a bite you have to strike by gently tightening the line. Ou normally need to strike pretty quickly, as soon as the float goes under. On a canal the fish are normally shy biters, so the float has to be shotted well down, with probably not even all the orange bit above the water. That way they're less likely to feel resistance.

Good luck!

john clarke

Hello Janet

Welcome to the forum

there are some great people here who will give you help/advice anytime(what man can refuse a female asking for advice!!!!) only joking boys :sun::sun::sun: even if you think its a silly question ...they will be fine ...may pull your leg a bit ...but just give as good as you get ....

Sorry I cannot offer any advice as never fished a canal..

Good luck

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Let me know

Which canal

What tackle have you bought?

Presume you are pleasure fishing.

Maybe be able to help as I have fished competeively on both the leeds liverpool & the lancy canal

the water that she's been trying is the Leeds and Liverpool canal near Clayton-le-Moors, near Burnley.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Wow. Thanks for all the advice guys!

My guess is you have a match or float rod, a fixed spool reel spooled up with 2-4 pound line, a selection of waggler floats, some hooks to nylon around sizes 14 to 20, split shot dispenser, and possibly a landing net, and disgorger or small forceps.
Yes, that sounds just about spot on. I told the guys in the tackle shop the sort of fishing I intended to do, and I've every confidence that they've set me up ok.

Really great to hear you've started fishing without knowing any anglers! What got you interested?

I've always fancied it, but never had anyone to teach me. On a recent boating trip I bought a kiddies fishing rod to dangle over the stern in the evening. Didn't have any luck with it, but on a recent camping trip I loaded it with a bit of sweetcorn and landed a two pound brown trout. I was hooked! I thought if I didn't do it now, I probably never would, so went straight out and bought my gear.

Presume you are pleasure fishing.
Yes, purely pleasure. I love canals, so intend to do the majority of my fishing there. We go on regular narrowboat holidays, and have our own dinghy and outboard, so I'm on the canals most weekends. Also, I don't drive, so the Leeds Liverpool is pretty handy for me. There's also the River Calder running past the bottom of my street, which I believe holds plenty of brown trout and the occasional salmon. There's a weir in the town too - would it be worth trying there?

From the advice you've all given me there, it seems I'm not really doing anything wrong. I've been plumbing the depth, feeding regularly etc, so I think it's a combination of bad luck and lousy weather that's stopped me catching so far. When I went out this week the rain was lashing down sideways, so I don't suppose it's surprising that I didn't catch anything!

Have you read any magazines such as the weekly (out on tues) Angling Times or monthly Improve your coarse fishing?

I've bought every coarse fishing magazine I can find, read them from cover to cover, as well as a few videos I bought from a car boot sale. I wasn't impressed with the videos - I really don't think that sitting next to a huge hole stuffed with carp is my sort of thing. Of course, once I get to know what I'm doing, I may change my mind, but at the moment I'm quite happy if I only catch tiddlers!

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I'll let you know how I get on!

Janet