Mobile Phones

Ferg

Apart fom emergencies should fishery owners ask for mobile phones be switched off. I was at a fishery today and the guy on the other bank, it was like I was in is office. I want to get away from work, pressures of the day by goin fishing. If you take a day off to fish LEAVE YOUR PHONE AT HOME or switch it off like I do

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959
Apart fom emergencies should fishery owners ask for mobile phones be switched off. I was at a fishery today and the guy on the other bank, it was like I was in is office. I want to get away from work, pressures of the day by goin fishing. If you take a day off to fish LEAVE YOUR PHONE AT HOME or switch it off like I do

Get yourself down on the rivers, no one fishes them any more so nice n quiet. ;):)

Next to the manic whail of someone elses bite alarm they are an intrusion that I could do without!

Phone boxes, toilets, prostitutes and policemen all have one thing in common, never find one when you want one. So your well prepared angler can atleast carry a mobile phone, a bucket and a blow-up, or a sheep, bugger about the copper though!

Well I carry mine with me, but I do set it to silent-vibrate so that it doesn't annoy other anglers.

But as I mainly fish alone, it's always coming with me, both in case I have an accident and need to call for help, and so my wife can contact me if she needs me to come home (She is home with two young kids when I dissapear off fishing). I also send text messages to the wife giving my location - again so that someone knows where I am and can call for help should I have an accident and not arrive back home at the expected time!

I do however take a phone that the number of which is only known to my wife and a couple of close relatives. Work don't pay me enough to disturb my day off!

Mat

Mat

I'm same as Mat, on silent, vibrate and only contactable by a selected few. It's turned on in case of emergency, or if I want to take a quick picture of something, so I don't have to turn it on and wait for load up and miss the moment. I think mobile phones have become a very useful addition to anglers. I have used then to call the emergency services, and to report a pollution incident on an isolated water.

I will agree though that they can be annoying, but that's down to the user. Many people think that you have to shout when using a mobile, and that the word mobile means that you have to walk around while you use it. I have even seen anglers a few hundred yards apart, asking each other how their fishing was going. This was all done in voices so loud, that I could hear both sides of the conversation quite clearly :blink:

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Funny that, I ONLY take mine when fishing! I hate the bluddy things personally, but as I am disabled and caring 24/7 for a wheelchair bound blind person, I must be able to be contacted. As a lot of anglers on here will verify, I don't use it while fishing - it is there "just in case"!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I tend to fish places where there aren't many people, but I keep my phone on a quiet ring just in case. I generally miss any calls I get though, as it's normally kept in a front pocket of a bag where I can't hear it - it's there really in case I need to make a call/text for whatever reason. Good reasons include illness, injury, accident, car problems, family emergencies.

There's no reason to ban phones. Some people are annoying, that's all. Same issue with bite alarms. You should use bite alarms when you're not expecting many bites and you literally can't stay focussed on a float/quiver/bobbin for that length of time. If you're getting loads of bites, turn it off. If you need to use one, turn it down so only you can hear it. It's just a bit of old fashioned politeness and respect with new technology :)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music