Steve Irwin

Guest Ferret1959

seen this on the news this morning, cant believe it has happened, everytime i watched his shows i always thought one day hes going to get killed. he was a nice bloke though R.I.P

Only 14 deaths wordwide of stingray barbs and 2 in Australia; very, very low odds.

The bloke will be sorely missed. My condolences to Terri, Bindi and Bob, his immediate family.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a fan of the bloke and tended to switch to another channel when he was on. But he never seemed to do any real harm to the animals he messed with and at least he was on their side. He just had a funny way of showing it and getting other people to appreciate his message on the environment thats all. It is a real shame he should die so young. But by all accounts it was more of an accident than an actual attack which as others have said is very rare from stingrays anyway.

A Hammond

cant see how upsetting snakes for the entertainment of others is of benifit to anyone but him

I could say the same about those that pull fish out of the water, have a quick butchers, then put them back.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The work Steve Irwin did for preservation and conservation of species, rehabilitation and care of injured and orphaned animals was incredible. He set up centres and helped fund projects all over the world.

If somebody drags a snake across the land and upsets it a bit, surely this is worth while if it means an antedote is created or a remote village is freed of a threat to their lives.

Why will people take such an easy pop and slag somebody off for upsetting animals? Seems a bit soap-boxy to me. If handling an animal and showing it to the camera means children and adults that watch such things gain more respect for animals and their environment, then it's a very, very good thing - and is exactly what Steve Irwin did.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Blimey Chester...you're a laugh a minute arent you?

Perhaps you should chuck your telly in the bin m8!!

I think they have done really well...lets not forget that the Prehistoric Park is educational and fun for children (it's main target audience) and the Likes of Steve Irwin and (yes...The ginger twit) have given a new perspective on a much maligned animal species, ie Reptiles.

There are far more crappy programmes on TV than the ones you mentioned, and as Steve Irwin and Prehistoric Park were on ITV...you didnt even have to waste your licence fee on them! :)

The fatal stingray attack on Steve Irwin may have occurred because the animal was startled or frightened,

Can not believe that a man of Steve's experience would do that.

From the programs I watched his handling of venomous creatures border on the insane, catching a deadly snake by the tail pulling it into the open and then dancing around it can hardly be un-startling for the snake :rolleyes: All very exciting for the viewer sat in his armchair watching TV but as stated in another post he got bitten a few times and this probably did not help him after being stung by the ray.

I encountered many rays in the Red Sea and the Arabian Gulf and viewed from a safe distance they are extremely docile.

Steve was known as a risk taker and it would appear that this time the risk was to high.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

A sad loss indeed. My thoughts are with his family :bye2:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy