Feeding Goldfish bread

The Flying Tench

But is it bad for them?

No, I don't think so. The warnings about bloating goldfish related to feeding dry breadcrumbs to goldfish in bowls, I think, and in most cases goldfish in bowls were killed by the effect of overfeeding on water quality. I don't think feeding wet bread in moderation to pond fish will do them any harm, but it won't be as good for them as a properly constituted food. It will be very much lower in protein and fat, and much higher in carbohydrates, and it may not provide all of the vitamins they need. Having said that, if you are just supplementing their natural diet, it may be fine. Your pond is quite "naturally" planted, isn't it?

To be honest, I tend to buy the cheaper bagged fish pellets rather than the heavily branded stuff in boxes. I maybe wouldn't do that if I had expensive koi, but my goldfish and orfe seem to do fine on what I give them.

Edited by Steve Walker

As Steve above says, bread is fine in moderation....maybe two or three times a week and always remove uneaten bits as it will definately pollute your pond.

But if you are going to feed bread, feed wholemeal bread as it's a lot better for them and i often put a bit of runny honey on the bread for my koi....they love it.

Among other things worth trying.....all in moderation and alongside normal fish pelletts or flake are....maggots, worms, sweetcorn, lunchoen meat, prawns, cheese.....infact anything you'd use for fishing.

The fish might like some of the stuff and might not touch some of it so always feed very small amounts.

Andy

As Steve above says, bread is fine in moderation....maybe two or three times a week and always remove uneaten bits as it will definately pollute your pond.

But if you are going to feed bread, feed wholemeal bread as it's a lot better for them and i often put a bit of runny honey on the bread for my koi....they love it.

Among other things worth trying.....all in moderation and alongside normal fish pelletts or flake are....maggots, worms, sweetcorn, lunchoen meat, prawns, cheese.....infact anything you'd use for fishing.

The fish might like some of the stuff and might not touch some of it so always feed very small amounts.

Andy

Spot on Andy, I have a very similar feeding regime to yours, & believe me they don't look bad on it.

My biggest Ghostie is nigh on 13lb, my female Orfe is well over 4lb, biggest Koi is around 9lb & I have a Dace that must be close to a pound. Ref the bread, I smear Marmite on it & they go crackers for it.

One thing to mention though, if I put in plain bread & it's not eaten within 15mins then it tends to get left. Whatever the attraction is with bread - possibly yeast - it seems to leach out pretty quick unless there is other inducements. As to whether it does them any harm, as long as its in the moderation you suggest, its an essential part of a varied diet. The other point is, if it is harmful then I've done some serious damage to the Swale Chub stocks, but they keep coming back for more!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

my old employers carp used to eat groundbait mixed with water into a gruel out of a babies bottle (with the hole in the teet enlaged) they pushed each other out of the way to get it ,needless to say he had a very efficiant filter system as a considerable amount came out of the gills for the smaller fish to eat ,wish i had got a photo it was an eating orgy.the carp actually raised their mouths above water to get it :o

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 5 weeks later...