The preaching of total catch and release is loosing conservation suporters.

sam-cox

By preaching total catch and release conservation bodies will be loosing suporters.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By preaching total catch and release conservation bodies will be loosing suporters.

First I've heard of it, personally I now only target fish which I can eat ie Bass, Cod, Haddock and Pollack although not in that particular order. :)

Safety habits last a lifetime.

I get the same feeling sam not so much about the organisations but some individuals are quite mad. Catch and release and bag limits and half of them have never even seen a trawler or the damage it can and has done Im getting disillusioned too mate. To many anglers wanting to give away our sport for absolutely sod all. Bag limits my arse.

Ill give you an example mate. Angler on here says

"What's wrong with bag limits?" , "If an angler is not happy with C&R and keeping a couple for the pot they should grow up."
Even said some charter skippers deserved to go bust

and then when he sees a video about commercial mackerel fishing nearly poos his pants and says he had no idea such things went on. Like he thought all fishermen were captain birdseye types who went to see in a small bathtub with 10 yards of gill net and a longline of 10 hooks baited with flithers.

The briefcase will soon be red clem awd lad.

Thatchers flaming brittain

Edited by glennk

Aperently we have 1000,000 sea anglers here in the UK. Most of these 1000,000 sea anglers will be the holliday maker who has a few casts every year, or the sort angler who just goes mackerel bashing to fill his freezer.

Only a very small percentage of sea angler really give a hoot about conservation, an even smaller percentage will bothered enough to write leters to the relavant people.

By talking so much about catch and release I feel a lot of suport has been lost.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam, where does the figure of one million come from? I have never been asked if I am a sea angler! How many have been asked? If they are not asking, how do they know, with no license to count?

Have a look at:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Economics_...ea_Angling.html

This contains links to a number of recent studies into the value of and participation in Recreational Sea Angling.

The Drew report, and the Invest in Fish Report in particular contain details of how data was gathered and analysed.

The headline figures are that, in England and Wales, it is estimated that there are between 1 - 2 million sea anglers (depending on whether you count those who just fish on holidays etc, or the 'hard-core' who go more often.

The direct spend is £538million, (over £80million collected in VAT) giving the sector an overall value of £1.3billion.

Supporting 19,000 jobs.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Sam, where does the figure of one million come from? I have never been asked if I am a sea angler! How many have been asked? If they are not asking, how do they know, with no license to count?

Err Maidstonemike, dont talk about a licence, the Portugeuse Goverment have recently announced that all sea anglers in their country will need a license as from Jan 1 2007, if they are caught without one it will be a minimum of a 500 euro fine and their tackel taken. Ohhh yes you will like this next bit, the money from the said licence is going towards a fund for retired commercial fisherman!!!!!!!. dont tell our politicians

My neighbour Gareth has a boat on the west coast of Wales and he can hardly be described as a one for the pot man, if it's legal he eats it, thankfully despite his years of fishing he is very one track and not over successful.

We were chatting yesterday and he was giving me a full update on his activities which revolved around the checks being carried out in that area on all fish catches commercial or other wise.

His exact words were " OOh they've gone keen and about b***dy time to"

He like myself is not a club man, takes out his mates sometimes and it was interesting to hear his comments.

I think we sometimes under estimate the silent majority and their views on conservation. Gareth is not a computer person, he does not buy angling mags, just aquires them of me when the chance arises, so he very out of touch with things apart from local gossip.

Bottom line he still cares and supports all efforts to consolidate fish stocks even if it is not active support.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The headline figures are that, in England and Wales, it is estimated that there are between 1 - 2 million sea anglers (depending on whether you count those who just fish on holidays etc, or the 'hard-core' who go more often.

The direct spend is £538million, (over £80million collected in VAT) giving the sector an overall value of £1.3billion.

Supporting 19,000 jobs.

Wow! That's a lot of sea anglers, and a lot of money, supporting a lot of jobs.

How many have been asked whether they want bag limits, C&R, etc? What link to what report do I have to click to find that out?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.